Ball facing up at 9 or ball facing 3rd at 9?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is the ball supposed to be facing 3B at 9 or up at 9?

I understand for max IR you would want it up at 9, but I don't see the elite pitching doing so.

Any help?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Getting the ball into a lagged position improves the potential for whip (palm/thump up going into release.) We talk about palm/thumb to catcher and palm up at 9 o'clock a lot because it's the best place to start for beginning pitchers, and those learning how to whip. Many elite pitchers model this: Osterman, Ueno, Abbott are examples. Ultimately, I think that palm up is most beneficial at the beginning of the whip phase--about the point the upper arm pauses at the side. Some of the pitchers who are seen with palm to 3B at 9 o'clock externally rotate the hand around 8 o'clock to thumb up.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
does this hold true for all kinds of pitches? how about backflip c/u and riseball?
ken - can you elaborate on what you said about some pitchers externally rotating to palm up at around 8 o'clock?
does this mean 3B at 9, then from 9->8 (30 degrees) arm rotates to palm up? is this what you mean?

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
maybe not at exactly 9 as a rule, but all the elites I see do get it pretty close to up if not at 9 then just past 9 as they accelerate their arm and the hand rotates up as a result of the acceleration. the Finch side view slo mo is the only example I can think of where she doesn't get fully ball to the sky at some point. but even there, at 9 the ball is mostly facing third but just past 9 it goes up more in reaction to the acceleration.

if you hold a ball with it facing third at 9 o clock and adduct hard the ball will rotate towards the sky just because the mass is going to torque the forearm in that direction. This is one of the reasons I think a lot of kids "accidentally" pitch with I/R even when instructed not too.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I use to say ball toward 3B when arm/hand are at 9:00. I'm now a firm believer that the whip is enhanced by having the palm up (or very nearly so) at when arm/hand are at 9:00.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
does this hold true for all kinds of pitches? how about backflip c/u and riseball?
ken - can you elaborate on what you said about some pitchers externally rotating to palm up at around 8 o'clock?
does this mean 3B at 9, then from 9->8 (30 degrees) arm rotates to palm up? is this what you mean?

I believe the RB benefits from starting palm/thumb up.

Yes on the in the last quarter. I wish I could find the examples I was thinking of... I like JJ's explanation of why it happens.

I think you can also feel the difference yourself. Try some easy/relaxed releases (no ball to start) with the inside of the elbow making contact with the hip. Do a bunch palm down; then several more palm up.

Jul 14, 2008
Somehow I smelled this coming from Sluggers.........In fact.......I could've bet my house on it........

Do we really have to comb though the hundreds of clips I (and others) have posted showing THE BALL/PALM MORE UP THEN SIDEWAYS AT 9:00, because you're on a "campaign" going on about what's important and what isn't so important??

How many clips can I put in one post??? I could fill up a page of these..........

oa3bf8.gif
359wpxx.gif

24wzlkw.gif
10i8inc.gif

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
There is one gif out there that shows a late forearm E/R to palm-up from 3rd base at somewhere past 9 o'clock. I've seen a few pitchers do that. Is it really significant what degree of palm up exists? Seems like it might be subject to the physical limitations of the athlete too. I wonder what you think of that late extra load BM. Can't find the gif I was thinking about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30