Bad Decision Need help Maybe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2011
So we had a 12u team of 98's and 99's and the 99's where much more serious that the 98's about playing alot. I tried to keep the team together till fall but the 99's forced a split and ask me to bring in new girls to fill out the team. They said get the best players we could but now it is a issue. We had four 99's girls from the old team, my DD plays SS and is the others played catcher, first, and second.

Issue is we bring in great talent as requested and a pitcher with her catcher, first, second, and original catcher all get beat out for their spot and moved to outfield as backups.

I put together a winning team as they requested and now they are not happy because their kids are backups and in the outfield when they created this whole mess.

What do you think right call or bad move on my part?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And you wonder why some of us suggest that travel ball parents not coach?

Anyway...

You did the right thing--although, I'm having trouble figuring this out.

The pitcher and catcher are probably pretty good, but, of course, you need two or three pitchers and at least two catchers. And, if you rotate the pitchers and catchers...who will even notice? Does each pitchers want to pitch every game and does each catcher want to catch every game? That isn't even desirable.

It sounds like the real problem is with 1B and 2B getting beaten out for their positions. Again, I have trouble understanding the issue because I'm sure you are going to be rotating the kids quite a bit anyway.

My suggestion would be to make sure that you give the original players a chance to win back their spots.

Feb 9, 2011
I always rotate the players every couple innings get a 5+ run lead let the clock get down to <20 min and rest my starting group in the outfield.

I try to carry three pitchers and catchers that can position play but new catcher was a rope to second no choice.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Something doesn't sound right. You had a full team of 99's and 98's. The 99's were more serious, so all FOUR of you left to start your own team????? If the parents weren't happy on the old team and now they aren't happy on this team...... You have two choices here. Keep the team you have and eventually find replacements for the other three girls (as they will quit shortly). Or you can try and make their parents happy and play them at the positions they want (won't last long). Either way, you will be looking for a new team next season. Good luck.

Feb 9, 2011
We split the teams because the 98 only wanted to play rec and an occassional tournament. We didn't leave this is a softball orginazation and the 98's started the original team in rec and as it grew we became a TB club 6u through 14u currently fielding two teams in each bracket now the 12's split. I am VP of the club and wanted to hold everyone till the 98's moved to 14u but the parents forced the issue.

I am pretty sure the other 99's will quit within two weeks if they can find another team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Could it be you are not playing enough games?

The usual TB team plays 5 to 8 games a weekend, and a couple during the week--that works out to at least 60 games during the summer. A TB team usually has a "best team" that it fields, but usually only puts the best team out there when the elimination tournament starts.

If you are playing 8 to 10 games a week, the other catcher is going to get lots of playing time.

Feb 9, 2011
We play TB every weekend and usually get in at least 5 games most of the girls have rec teams they play on during the week. We live in a rural area and the team is comprized from girls that travel upward of 3 hours to play with this team.

I always start best 9 on the field and once we get a lead rotate the other players in the positions they want to play and rest catcher, pitcher, and SS in the outfield.

The main issue is the existing parents fail to see that the new girls are better and faster than their girls. I had a outside college coach watch them practice and he listed them in the appropriate starting positions as he saw it. It worked out the same as how I was playing them.

Feb 9, 2011
In 12u here it really isn't one either the girls move on everyplay and see alot of fly plays and have backup coverages on every play.

They don't get that in the upper age groups everyone on the field is good and sees action.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC