Background Checks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Who should be required to have a background check?

• No One

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Manager

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Assistant Coaches

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Umpire

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • All Adults

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
The rec association that I played for and now coach for does NOT do background checks. It is a small community, where everyone knows everyone. We are not affiliated with any of the alphabet soup organizations. This is another reason we are not Pony affiliated (a lot of hassle, don't have a 12U or a 14U--cut it half with 13U which Pony wouldn't like, etc.). As one of those teenagers that helps out with the girls, I wouldn't think twice about letting a local, well known teen help out. Someone new to the area, someone I don't know... I'd do some investigating. Several of the parents who played fall ball for me didn't know me at all. I had some girls on the team that I had never met before. I was the head coach, no one else would do it, the girls wanted a team, I was available and I love it, so everyone won! Several of the parents that did not know me admitted to calling around and asking about me before committing their child to my team. Needless to say, I came up clean. :p

Mar 13, 2010
I'm one of many, many people on here who could tell you about people who seemed 'OK' until they were arrested for molesting girls AND boys in their teams/classes. My favorite teacher in high school, who comforted me when my nana died is currently serving gaol time for drugging and raping a student.

This is not one of the things I think you can be too careful about.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Many schools, daycares and business have discovered that if someone is harmed by a person with a checkered past employed or designated by them it is a liability if something happens.

This all started (requiring background checks for employment) when a guy selling vacuum cleaners with a criminal record robbed and raped a lady who allowed this person in their home. It ended in a huge lawsuit with the vacuum cleaner company being liable for not checking out this salesperson before putting him out in the field.

All it would take is one good lawsuit to make background check mandatory in sports, I’m surprised that the insurance companies don’t require background checks before insuring a ball team.

I had an old friend who is a convicted drug felon and coached a team at a local recreation center, although he was an old friend I did not agree with it and moved my daughter to a different recreation center.

Edit to add: I work in law enforcement and being around these people 5 days a week and I hink I understand how they think and act some what. They are exceptions to any rule, but I error on the side of caution where my child is concerned!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse