Average Speed for a 12U pitcher?? and Off season prep to get ready for Season,,,,

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Here at PGF. Some buzz from one field yesterday about a girl throwing 60. A few pocket radars out, and one pitch did hit 60 during the 20 minutes I was there. They lost, first bracket game, won a losers bracket game then lost. No idea how much she pitched in total. So 1-2 and done. Sure she hit 60, but hitters were not struggling when I was watching. No movement. Change was erratic. Location was hard to tell from where I was. Pure gas can work in 10u, but in 12u it's gotta be location and movement to grow as a pitcher.

At Heartland Havoc Shootout this past weekend I personally shot the Bandit 12u pitcher pumping 60 on the dot. Every pitch. Effectively wild. Bandit 11u girl hitting 57-58 consistently. I know nobody wants to believe it but it seems that I see more numbers in that range every year. Has to be because of quality instruction and a true understanding of I/R by more. A few in the 53-56 range and majority around 50.

I see bigger girls muscling the ball with everything they have getting high numbers with avg command and then I see thin/long girls effortlessly pumping close to the same speeds with better accuracy....I know which one really gets my attention because their upside is much higher...

Just my experience with a pocket radar.

Jan 21, 2016
Just from a curiosity standpoint, were these girls bigger than most of the other 12u girls or about average/normal size?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
If you want your kid to advance, here's what I would say. It's going to be different from almost everyone here. My son just finished pitching in college. So here's the long view, vs a year by year view.

Work on velocity. Get a radar device. Keep only techniques that make her faster. Practice every grip. Don't worry about command (too much). Winning a 12U game means nothing.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Was at a big tournament this weekend and got to watch around 30 pitchers. 14U/16U mostly and a few 18U teams. I didn't see anyone hit 60 consistently. What surprised me was that I only saw two kids throw change ups. We played a girl that threw 90% change ups and every once in a while she would throw a FB. First one in the third inning. Most girls were throwing a really slow palm up curve ball as there change. One girl threw a slow curve, fast curve, and medium curve ( possibly trying rise). Never seen that many curve balls.

Feb 15, 2017
Just from a curiosity standpoint, were these girls bigger than most of the other 12u girls or about average/normal size?

Moving target. We have seen some ginormous kids (and whole teams) at 12u this year. This was an average “big kid” to what Ive seen. Have seen taller but she was probably 5-8 with a “strong” build. Mechanically not very impressive. Bend over and aim/muscle was how I would describe it. Legit smoke though. At least 3 pocket radars behind the screen...all showing the same. The 11u kid was a thin 5-4ish. Smooth mechanically though.

Feb 15, 2017
This thread goes right along with the 12u girls hitting 280-300' shots

I’m in the camp of “don’t believe it until I seen it” and tell you what...I believe what I posted. Multiple radars on these kids all showing the same numbers. Now I didn’t go saying they are everywhere but they are out there. Funniest part - none of the parents and other coaches act like they have seen a unicorn.

Thinking next time I will shoot a video of the radar and the pitcher, show the birth certificate and ask multiple independent parties to confirm it. What?!? Naw....I’ll just let others continue to live under rocks instead if wasting my time.

Now 280-300’ shots....not seen that yet.

May 12, 2016
I’m in the camp of “don’t believe it until I seen it” and tell you what...I believe what I posted. Multiple radars on these kids all showing the same numbers. Now I didn’t go saying they are everywhere but they are out there. Funniest part - none of the parents and other coaches act like they have seen a unicorn.

Thinking next time I will shoot a video of the radar and the pitcher, show the birth certificate and ask multiple independent parties to confirm it. What?!? Naw....I’ll just let others continue to live under rocks instead if wasting my time.

Now 280-300’ shots....not seen that yet.
Sounds good, maybe you can chat with those who seen the 12u girls hitting 280'-300' shots to see how they can verify what they've seen. Since you've never seen a 12u hitting a 280'-300' shot, I guess that means you live under a rock as well?

Jun 22, 2019
High 40s to low 50s is fine for 12U at any level. The higher level girls are typically low 50s, but I’ve seen many that are around 47-49 and do fine. I’m sure there are unicorns that are throwing high 50s to 60, but I’ve never seen one.

Work on form & drive, speed and accuracy will come with the correct form and increasing drive.

Sep 3, 2015
High 40s to low 50s is fine for 12U at any level. The higher level girls are typically low 50s, but I’ve seen many that are around 47-49 and do fine. I’m sure there are unicorns that are throwing high 50s to 60, but I’ve never seen one.

Work on form & drive, speed and accuracy will come with the correct form and increasing drive.
Agreed, I've seen maybe 1-2 pitchers throwing legit 60mph ever, and this is up to 16u.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13