auto outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Batting rules are one area where a league and/or local tournaments will often modify championship rules.

When a question is asked here, on a national forum, we usually answer based on ASA, or whatever, association championship rules.

If the question refers to a "local" rule modification, we can usually only offer opinions about how it should be, but only the local association board or ruling group can give a definitive answer.

It seems that a lot of local associations adopt rule modifications that seem good on the surface, but they often don't assess the impact to other related rules. That can certainly lead to mess at times. To me, it would seem to make sense to involve the league UIC or some person that understands championship rules in the local rule modification process.

Feb 3, 2011
We play with 10 in the field thru 10U, consecutive batting order. You can play with 8, you will not be penalized with any auto outs. There are a few circumstances that you can get an auto out, like reserving a spot in the batting order for a player that is late to the game.

If this is a rec. league make sure you check your local rules for when a Team needs to take an auto out, then what the umpires say above applies.
NorCal plays 10 with 4 outfielders on defense in 8u, but they bat the roster. A team can start with 9 players, but must take an out at the 10th spot in the lineup.

Those are the NorCal league rules. Yesterday, I get a call from one of my coaches telling me that the opposing team only has 9 and wants to waive the automatic out. My coach has 14 players, so I told her that no, not only was it not allowed, but it also would not be fair, as the team with only 9 batters already has a huge advantage over a team that has to bat all 14.

Some 8u coaches, I tell ya.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know, there is a difference between knowing the rules and following them. We had a player with diabetes that struggled with some of our early morning games, just could not get her body where it needed to be.

If it was an Issue, I discussed with the opposing coach and they said no problem just let my score keeper know and just skip her.

One coach said just skip her tell our score keeper, when I was talking to the scorekeeper they came running over with a rule book and said she could only play we took an auto out for her. I told that that they needed to show me the rule if they wanted an auto out, they spent 5 minutes looking for it and finally said fine and stormed off. I knew the rule and they were correct but I was not going to help them be a jerk. If they found the rule we would have taken the auto out hoping the player felt better as it turned out she left the game and did not play.

Feb 3, 2011
If a player is injured, then the auto out is forgiven. Encourage your league to write in similar language. The situation you described would be covered.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
We are pretty lax on the rules in our rec league. There are no auto outs. Sometimes players leave early for school functions, birthday partys, whatever and you just tell the other manager and scorekeeper that Suzy left and we'll be skipping her turn the rest of the game.

When we put together the select summer all-star team though, it pays to know the rules. Cost us an autoout when our coach batted all 10 players and had no sub even though he knew one player had to leave in the 3rd inning to catch a plane. Fortunatley it was a Saturday pool play game and not the Sunday elimination round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321