Athletes Unlimited softball.....Are you digging it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
AU is promoting AU while supporting sports like Volleyball and Fastpitch. In that regard its a win win for now. Without additional outside sponsorship money there's no way a league could be developed. Maybe they're hoping this can be a building block to a pro league at some point?

I like it because it's a little different. The drafting of teams allows for a new look and is a fun way to mix up personalities. The focus on individual points helps the program promote faces. It's no secret that fastpitch is not a well known sport. So it's safe to say that, outside of those who know fastpitch, no one knows who these players are. As I see it, the drafting and points system allows the commentators to spend more time talking about the players.

I'm just happy there's more fastpitch on TV.
Where on TV? I can't ever find anything and I have cable up the wazoo.

Apr 1, 2017
Where on TV? I can't ever find anything and I have cable up the wazoo.

I will admit, that I have ESPN+, and haven't watched any of it. The games are also being played 15 minutes from my house, and my daughters and I haven't gone to any. Everyone probably has their own excuse, but at least for me, in August I'm ready for a short softball break before travel fall season starts back up in a few weeks.

Jun 8, 2016
No the format is terrible. Everyone wants to cheer for a team.... this doesn't allow that.
Everyone is a stretch, I just like to watch high level players, but I will say that most people like to have a team to root for..

Jan 6, 2018
My DD and I enjoy turning it on, but only to watch individual matchups. We rarely see a game to the end. She’s a pitcher so we watch mainly to see the best vs. the best and what strategies they use to get them out. When we come across a pitcher with a similar pitch mix to her, I save it on the dvr and she’ll chart it!

Feb 15, 2017
Some of the best parts have been the in game interviews and some of the worst parts have been the in game interviews.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Glad this thread got bumped.

I'm a season ticket holder for AU this year. We've gone 2/3 days for the first three weeks (gave tickets away to players the other days). I'm all in on this league. I've grown to love the point system and the individual performance element.

They're doing so much to grow the game beyond the play on the field.

This year they started the Athletes of Tomorrow program, which allows for youth teams to play on the field in the morning on the day of games. Youth teams playing in Rosemont isn't new. Our HS team played a game there in April.

We played again the other day. It was just our HS summer team against one of the rec teams we play against in the summer. During the game, Gwen Svekis and Taylor Edwards came into the dugout. They'd go between the two dugouts between innings, so they were always in the dugout of the team that was hitting.

We had a particularly terrible inning in the field. I thought about asking them to talk to the team. I didn't have to. When Svekis got to our dugout, she asked me if she could say something. I said yes. She went on to say pretty much everything I would've said. Some things I've said in the past during the bad innings, so it was good that my players could hear it from a professional.

During that bad inning, my shortstop made three errors (maybe two errors and a play-that-should-have-been-made). When we got off the field she immediately went into the bathroom in the dugout. When she came out, she was upset. I talked to her for a minute. I then asked Svekis if she could say something to her, and she spent most of the rest of the half inning with her. I have no idea what they talked about, but if I can pat myself on the back for a moment, I think utilizing that resource in that moment was one of the smartest things I've ever done as a coach.

Fast forward to the pro games. As an AU Captain level member, I can do meet and greets with a couple players between games. I've never done it when I go with my DW, but I brought a few of the players this time. Two pitchers got to talk to Sara Groenewegen about pitching, playing for Team Canada, etc. One of our girls somehow talked to Sashel Palacios about Bad Bunny.

And of course there's the autograph lines. As a group, we got a special line (which was really not anything different than the line everyone can use. It was just in a different place, and I think it's designed to spread things out some). Seeing a couple of my girls lose their minds when they got to meet Rachel Garcia was way more important than any point system, and it's why I wish all softball fans would support the pro game.

I don't know if any of our girls knew who Edwards was before they met her in our dugout during our game. And by the end of the night, the handful that were left were so excited that they got to see her and talk to her again.

Representation matters, and getting to watch, meet, and talk to the very best in the game inspires a whole new generation of players.

Support this league, even if it's hard for you to get past rooting for laundry.

Aug 6, 2013
No the format is terrible. Everyone wants to cheer for a team.... this doesn't allow that.
I'm not sure why not - each week you can certainly cheer for a team. More than likely it will be the team with your favorite player on it, but you can root for them and if they win innings and games that in turn helps your favorite player. Like someone said in a previous post - the younger generation tends to have a favorite player in their chosen sport and if/when that player moves their loyalty tends to move as well. Also these teams aren't geographically based where there is a fan base living where the team is located. This is a chance for players to showcase their talents and compete at the highest level.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13