At what age should you buy a "good" bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
How much difference does it make at the younger levels (10U & 8U) to have an expensive bat? I would think that having the correct weight and length (ex. -9) would be better than the material the bat is made of at these ages? I just don't want to fall victim to having to buy $299 bats every year so my DD have the latest and greatest.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
To each their own... with that being said, I made sure that DD wanted to keep playing before I spent a lot of money on a bat, 2nd year 12U (last year) is when I finally bought one.

Apr 12, 2010
Hello, first post here, been lurking for a little while.
One mistake I see frequently, is parents shelling out $200-$300 for a top of the line composite, when their child isn't even making contact with the ball.
As an ex duffer out on the links, who frequently blamed his poor shots on "inferior" clubs, I completely understand this mentality.
I would say base it first on your child's ability to make regular contact with the ball, if they are new to the game, and whiffing almost everytime, the money would be better spent on some decent hitting lessons, The hitting instructor from that point, would be a better person to ask (IMO) that is.. unless he sells bats on the side lol.

Oct 25, 2009
At the 8-10U I would be more concerned about the right size bat. The bat should be light enough to learn a good fundamental swing. If you get a bat too heavy it WILL create bat drag.

You usually get what you pay for. You won't find a cheap bat that will do what it should as far as pop. Buying the most expensive bat doesn't guarantee it will perform as you would like either. I like to see kids hitting with the bats and judge from there. Most kids will let another kid try their bats. But don't feel bad if they don't; some are superstitious or may have other legitimate reasons.

After you see one you think you like, see if your DD can try it out. If she doesn't like the feel of it, it doesn't matter what it can do; it won't do it for her. I recommend the Stealth, 10 oz. drop or the DeMarini CF4. The Miken Halo seems to have a good punch also.

But most important, keep it light until she's right!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
The answer is 14U, or possibly even 12U .

And the reason is only because everyone else has them and she will feel like an outsider without one.

At 12U and below, lots of players still use aluminum, etc so its not so bad to them. @14, they gotta have it to be a real player. Or so they think.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
At risk of asking a stupid question (I searched, I sear!) What does DD mean?
I assume.. darling daughter?

I know it has been said before by others but I am going to repeat it. I think Dollar Drainer is more fitting, and not just in softball either. LOL

Oct 18, 2009
IMHO its different for every player and the level of play they are at. The size/weight of some of the high end bats don't allow the younger smaller players to swing it properly. Because I can never say no to her I made the mistake of buying my then 9yo DD a composite stealth (the old white/purple one -10) at the beginning of last year because she begged and said it was so "pretty". I didn't know enough about bats then and didn't realize it was too much bat for her. She never used it and ended up using an on sale $50 demarini cat osterman with a minus 13 drop all season.

This year she has grown into the stealth and can appreciate the technology it provides... too bad its out of warranty now and they don't make that particular model anymore so if it breaks we are done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar