At what age is too early to attend a College Showcase Camp?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Also. You can't sign until your senior year I think?? Why verbal now. It's not binding they can pull off you and then your left holding the bucket late in the process when everyone thought you had already committed. Not likely but possible. Just silly to me. The growth and sometimes lack there of from 14 to 17 or 18 is so unpredictable. Kid may be great sure she is but just don't see committing now and I still don't see how d1 school can offer 8th grader. I misread the rules

Recruiting is a big game of musical chairs and unless your DD is a bonafide STUD there is a chance the school of her dreams will have already committed all of their athletic money for her class if she waits too long in the process. I know several seniors who are now signing as preferred walk-ons because they kept holding out for a better offer from another school and when that offer never came, they had to resort to "Plan B"....but the "Plan B" coaches had already committed all of their athletic money to other players. There is still a chance for academic money with great grades and a good ACT/SAT score, but that is up to the admissions board, not the softball coaches.

Mar 21, 2013
We stomped one verballed to an SEC school into a mudhole, but she is tall (6'+) and left handed, so I guess the coaches figure they can "coach her up"....

Yep, they can teach her to pitch, but they can't teach her to be tall...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We stomped one verballed to an SEC school into a mudhole, but she is tall (6'+) and left handed, so I guess the coaches figure they can "coach her up"....

Yep, they can teach her to pitch, but they can't teach her to be tall...

I have yet to see any TB pitcher that was ready to pitch in the SEC. It is a world away from TB. MY DD was the NJCAA pitcher of the year and she will be the first to tell you she needs to up her game even more to be effective in the SEC. She said one of the biggest differences is the discipline at the plate.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Her feet will tell the story. Haven not seen her in a while. Do you know if she has fixed it?

Have never seen an umpire call her for an IP, so not sure what her incentive is to fix it....I did hear that the UF coaches were "tweaking" her mechanics.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Have never seen an umpire call her for an IP, so not sure what her incentive is to fix it....I did hear that the UF coaches were "tweaking" her mechanics.

I know some of the folks who umpire the Gator games. If she does not fix it, not even Tim will be able to help her. :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I know some of the folks who umpire the Gator games. If she does not fix it, not even Tim will be able to help her. :)

Do those same folks umpire the USF games? I never saw Sarah Nevins called for an IP until she reached the WCWS.....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Do those same folks umpire the USF games? I never saw Sarah Nevins called for an IP until she reached the WCWS.....

Doubtful it is the same crew. Typically the HC of a college team hand selects the umpires for their home games, or at a minimum has significant input. Which is why when you see things get called in the conference tournaments and the WCWS that never get called in the hometown stadium. At the conference tournament the umpires serve at the pleasure of the conference, and at the WCWS the NCAA. So when HC / umpire relationships are not in play, IP's suddenly get called. Had an umpire that I have known for years tell me that more than once he wanted to dump Tim, but he knew that would be his last game in Gainesville.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Doubtful it is the same crew. Typically the HC of a college team hand selects the umpires for their home games, or at a minimum has significant input. Which is why when you see things get called in the conference tournaments and the WCWS that never get called in the hometown stadium. At the conference tournament the umpires serve at the pleasure of the conference, and at the WCWS the NCAA. So when HC / umpire relationships are not in play, IP's suddenly get called. Had an umpire that I have known for years tell me that more than once he wanted to dump Tim, but he knew that would be his last game in Gainesville.

Wow, I learned something new today and I was hardly trying! Talk about home field advantage! I always assumed the umpires were assigned by the conference similar to football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi