At what age is too early to attend a College Showcase Camp?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
I guess that is the whole point, she is a tuff great kid, awesome circle presence. and she may be a top D1 pitcher one day but you certainly cant be sure now.I don't get what the thought process is committing so early. The coaches have no clue what they are really going get 4 years later and more importantly the athlete rarely has a clue of what they will pursue academically.A trend I've noticed is as the athletes get older and become juniors and seniors they are not star struck by the big star spangled programs and begin taking much longer looks at the smaller schools that is a better fit all around. If they have the ability they can still play for a competitive D1 program that is not the 800 pound gorilla, and compete legitimately for championships or the wcws, but wiping every option off the table in the vast ocean of great schools and programs while you still sleep with a teddy Bear seems crazy.

That would be her lefty. You're correct, she's not a PAC-12 pitcher.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
If I'm not mistaken d1 teams can't contact recruit until sophomore year, I think. If so how do these middle school kids get offers and scholarships????

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Also. You can't sign until your senior year I think?? Why verbal now. It's not binding they can pull off you and then your left holding the bucket late in the process when everyone thought you had already committed. Not likely but possible. Just silly to me. The growth and sometimes lack there of from 14 to 17 or 18 is so unpredictable. Kid may be great sure she is but just don't see committing now and I still don't see how d1 school can offer 8th grader. I misread the rules

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If I'm not mistaken d1 teams can't contact recruit until sophomore year, I think. If so how do these middle school kids get offers and scholarships????

You need to differentiate between having contact and initiating contact. While a coach may not be able to initiate contact under certain circumstances like camps contact is allowed. And as with any rule if there is a desire someone will find a way to work around it.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
I guess that is my point/question, I know at camps they can have contact but technically they cant contact a player until sophomore year? Last camp DD attended had multiple schools represented, one coach invited her to their camp and expressed interest in having her see the campus etc while at their camp. DD is currently in 8th grade school is a smaller D1 so I guess technically nothing wrong?

Jun 24, 2013
Jacksonville
My daughter gave up, no one has contacted her. She is in the fourth grade and getting long in the tooth. Her dreams of college softball are over :(

Sorry had to be a smart rear, the truth is I have had some parents tell me they have had contact from universities as early as the sixth grade but that just talk, I personally do not know and really don't see how any one could be looked at before their sophomore year.

To much changes inside a young person mind.

Dec 23, 2014
WI
Also. You can't sign until your senior year I think?? Why verbal now. It's not binding they can pull off you and then your left holding the bucket late in the process when everyone thought you had already committed. Not likely but possible. Just silly to me. The growth and sometimes lack there of from 14 to 17 or 18 is so unpredictable. Kid may be great sure she is but just don't see committing now and I still don't see how d1 school can offer 8th grader. I misread the rules

They sign an NLI Junior year

Dec 23, 2014
WI

Teams don't want to miss out on another program getting that "one", I think it's cycled down form other sports like football and basketball, and because of those other sports it won't change. It's not everyday you see middle school kids already with a verbal though. Time can change things, because it is just that a verbal. College coaches can have contact with middle school kids, but when they hit HS the only way is if the kid is on campus and that's usually how the verbal happens a campus visit.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My daughter gave up, no one has contacted her. She is in the fourth grade and getting long in the tooth. Her dreams of college softball are over :(

Sorry had to be a smart rear, the truth is I have had some parents tell me they have had contact from universities as early as the sixth grade but that just talk, I personally do not know and really don't see how any one could be looked at before their sophomore year.

To much changes inside a young person mind.

Remember the thread where people talked about parents whose DDs had 90 mph fastballs? Those are the girls contacted in the 6th grade. :D

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
They sign an NLI Junior year

NLI Signing Dates for Prospective Student-Athletes Signing 2015-16 and Enrolling 2016-17

NLI Signing Dates for Prospective Student-Athletes Signing 2015-16 and Enrolling 2016-17

Sport (s) Initial Signing Date Final Signing Date
Basketball (Early Period) November 11, 2015 November 18, 2015
Basketball (Regular Period) April 13, 2016 Division I: May 18, 2016
Division II: August 1, 2016
Football (Midyear JC Transfer) December 16, 2015 January 15, 2016
Football (Regular Period) February 3, 2016 April 1, 2016
Soccer and Men's Water Polo February 3, 2016 August 1, 2016
All Other Sports (Early Period) November 11, 2015 November 18, 2015
All Other Sports (Regular Period) April 13, 2016 August 1, 2016

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads