ASU Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I think the rule stating there has to be contact is a bad rule, but under the current rules, there was no INT.

Playing under international rules she would have been out (Sec. 60. INTERFERENCE.
Interference is the act of:a. An offensive player or team member that impedes, hinders, or confuses a defensive player attempting to
execute a play) I think that rule is much better.

Mar 11, 2009
I think the rule stating there has to be contact is a bad rule, but under the current rules, there was no INT.

Playing under international rules she would have been out (Sec. 60. INTERFERENCE.
Interference is the act of:a. An offensive player or team member that impedes, hinders, or confuses a defensive player attempting to
execute a play) I think that rule is much better.

I don't think Boyd impeded, hindered, or confused a defensive player attempting to
execute a play, she just jumped to avoid being hit by the batted ball, nothing wrong with that. Umps missed her leaving early, but the outfielder clearly bobbling ball and not throwing her out at home isn't talked about much.

Mar 13, 2010
She jumped up directly in front of a player. That's INT to me. The reason the outfielder isnt mentioned is because the shortstop didn't have a fair chance to get the ball.

Mar 11, 2009
She jumped up to avoid being hit by batted ball, if it would have hit her game would have been over. Plenty of space between her and SS. SS even told her own coach there was no contact.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
The runner stopping in front of the fielder, waiting for the ball, then jumping over it, does seem like it was justification for interference, but contact would have ended all doubt. After all the runner was standing still right in front of the fielder. One step forward, and this discussion never happens. Geez,.. charge the ball, if a collision happens, there's interference, if not, you throw the girl out at first. Another example of bad things happening when you don't charge the ball.

Apr 13, 2010
Florida just blew the same sort of play against Arizona State. Ball hit to 2nd and the fielder avoided contact and thus did not get the obstruction call that she would have.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
To resurrect an old thread....

One thing that has not been mentioned here at all is the level of play.

This play occurred at the NCAA D1 level, in the playoffs...these players are some of the top players in the country. One of the reasons that college umpires will not call interference short of contact is that a D1 shortstop SHOULD be able to make that play unless the runner just runs into her. I'm reasonalby sure that her coach expected her to make the play.

At 10u, 12u, and maybe 14u, that same play will probably be an interference call a high percentage of the time. At 16u and up, that percentage is going way down.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA