ASA Eligibility

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD's team is playing 14U A Northern Regionals in Bowling Green 7/27-31. She has been asked to guest for a 16U team playing in ASA/USA Nationals 7/31-8/7. Her coach is on board. If her coach releases her as soon as her team is out of the 14U tourney, is she elibible to play with the 16U team?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
To my knowledge; if the sanction is ASA and your daughter participated in any ASA qualifier tourney this season, she is locked to that roster for the remainder of the summer. There is not a roster release in ASA. I still do not agree with this but this is how I interpreted the threads earlier that were quoting State Director Jones' ruling. Your daughter was more than welcome to play up and could have moved back down had the 14u team never played in a qualifier. This is only for ASA. USSSA does not freeze the roster unless the team accepts the bid to the World Series. Only teams that qualify or take an "at large" berth and commit to go have rosters frozen and reviewed.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Thanks. From what I'm reading, I think she's eligible. Her team is ASA registered as 14UA. The team she'll guest for is 16U. As soon as her team in no longer playing in Northern Regionals, they're no longer advancing, so she should be okay that way. Her team did play some 16U ASA tournaments, but didn't qualify for USA/ASA. Both teams are from the same ASA region. Am I missing anything? The 16U coach is also checking. I just don't want to take another week of vacation and find out she's ineligible.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
ASA does allow players from teams that did not qualify for Nationals to pick up with another team that did qualify. They can only pick up for Nationals though (not for state championship). You can also play up to a higher age bracket. I don't believe playing in the 14U Northern Regionals would keep her from being able to pick up for the 16U Nationals, but you need to call your state director.

Being "locked" on a team is the result of playing with a team in a qualifier, you can not then play in another qualifier (or the State Championship) with a different team. If your team qualifies for Nationals, you are then locked onto their roster and cannot play for a different team at Nationals. This is how it was explained to me, and I didn't see anything to contradict that in the paper work linked by screwball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
To start, there is no such animal as a "release".

Your player may play as a Pick-up Player ONLY if her rostered team has been eliminated from or voluntarily removes themselves from Championship Play.

Nov 1, 2009
As long as the 16U tournament is after the 14U tournament she would be okay. The one thing to consider is she will not be able to play at the 14U level next season once she plays on the 16U team at least in ASA sanctioned events. Regardless of what you decide make sure both coaches know what you are doing.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
As long as the 16U tournament is after the 14U tournament she would be okay. The one thing to consider is she will not be able to play at the 14U level next season once she plays on the 16U team at least in ASA sanctioned events. Regardless of what you decide make sure both coaches know what you are doing.

I think you're mistaken. Once ASA/USA Nationals are over all restrictions end and any player id free to register on and play for ANY ASA team for which she is age eligible.

Dec 25, 2008
Thanks. From what I'm reading, I think she's eligible. Her team is ASA registered as 14UA. The team she'll guest for is 16U. As soon as her team in no longer playing in Northern Regionals, they're no longer advancing, so she should be okay that way. Her team did play some 16U ASA tournaments, but didn't qualify for USA/ASA. Both teams are from the same ASA region. Am I missing anything? The 16U coach is also checking. I just don't want to take another week of vacation and find out she's ineligible.

Would someone please clarify the geographical boundaries for me? Do pick-up players have to come from within a the same asa region or do they have to come from the same local area? Or something else? Thanks!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Would someone please clarify the geographical boundaries for me? Do pick-up players have to come from within a the same asa region or do they have to come from the same local area? Or something else? Thanks!

Local association (state/metro) for A ball; region for 18U Gold.

Taking part in a higher level does not jeopardize a player's future eligibility

It is all right here.

Dec 25, 2008
Local association (state/metro) for A ball; region for 18U Gold.

Taking part in a higher level does not jeopardize a player's future eligibility

It is all right here.

Thanks! I have one more question. I'm looking through the code but not sure I'm getting my question answered.

What if a potential pick-up player has not played on a registered ASA team this year. The only thing I can see that might address that is in 502 it states that the roster change deadline is 24 hours prior to the start of championship play.

So really this would not be a "pick up" player as the player has not participated in ASA play this year. Seems it would be more of a roster change/add. Is that covered under what I stated above in 502?

Hopefully I'm being clear in what I'm describing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut