Aroldis Chapman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
took a nasty line drive off the face yesterday and i was wondering how many softball pitchers wear a mask? My youngest d wore a rip-it mask at the end of last year but my middle d hasn't worn one for a couple of years. In the few university games i have watched i have not noticed anyone wearing a mask.

heard an interesting interview on mlb radio with Bryce Flori (?) who got hit very similar to Chapman and he thought he was going to catch it, doesn't know how he missed, but would have been better of just turning his head.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A team that I work with here (TB 14U) just requires them. No problem.

I require them of my students and they just wear them.

I think it helps that I wear one. I wear it a lot, even when I am just walking across the infield - cause you know, those throws seem to come out of no where, when the girls have a ball in their hands.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
My 18u pitchers and corners wear the rip it wire masks.
I had one of my 3 rd baseman fight me on it for a while last year until a tournament game, we were up to bat and the opponents 3rd baseman came in a couple of steps and my batter turned on the pitch and drove the ball straight into the 3rd basemans face. She was also wearing the rip it mask. She had no chance to get her glove up to protect herself. The force of the hit drove the mask back into her nose and broke her nose. I wouldn't want to imagine what that girls life would be like now, had she not been wearing a mask.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I wear it a lot, even when I am just walking across the infield - cause you know, those throws seem to come out of no where, when the girls have a ball in their hands.

So you have been on the field at our team practice. Good to know. Next time I'll say hi ! :cool:

Seriously, My DD has worn one since she began pitching (8yo). She is 13 now and wears it pitching and playing infield. Good thing because on our new team we play 2B up at mid circle on a slapper. This is as close or closer than 3B shortening up.

Masks are becoming the norm all over - even college ball. As the current 14U and lower age groups move up you will notice it as the standard.

Oct 18, 2009
wow. that was scary. i don't think it will happen but i'd be in favor of a rule where certain softball players had to wear a mask.

Jun 7, 2013
My youngest DD, while pitching, was hit with a hard line drive while not wearing a mask. It's taken
over a year but I think that she is mostly over it now.

Needless to say for me, my DDs always wear their masks while pitching, without exception. I should
add that after the line drive incident I get no complaints.

As for Rip-It or Schutt. They are both very good. Just pick the one that fits the best and is most
comfortable. For my daughters, it is Schutt.

Apr 13, 2011
I wonder what the time difference is in softball for a liner up the middle - anyone know if it is faster or slower with a 60 MPH pitch from 43 feet vs. a 90 MPH pitch from 60?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi