Are we doing the right thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
My DD just completed her first year in travel with an in state 10U B level travel team. This was the 1st year for most of the girls. The girls were great, and the coaches were nice, and we really did become one family with the parents, but we didn't feel my daughter was being taught any fundamentals. It is our (my wife and I) impression that the coach's solution on how to teach the girls how to field ground balls was to hit 100 ground balls at them and let them figure it out. Needless to say, we feel that my DD has regressed as a player and ended the season being hidden in the OF (something that can't be done at 12U & she is not very good at fly balls, but practicing hard).

We were asked to commit for the next season (the whole team is moving up to 12u), but declined for 2 reasons. 1st...We wanted my DD to be surrounded by better players and have her in an environment with a little more discipline, and 2nd...we thought it would be unfair to the coach to commit and then tryout for other teams.

We are trying out for several teams and hoping she lands on at least one. We are not trying out for the team that she had played on last year. The teams run the gamut from being 1st year 12U elite to very competitive 12U B level teams. We are convinced it would have been more of the same if she had stayed with her team.

Any comments on this situation would be appreciated so I can be more confident that we made the correct decision.

Jul 26, 2010
Try to find an organization that is more then just 1 team. I find that young girls (12 and young) learn best from older girls, not coaches. Many good organizations are set up to where the coaches verbally instruct, and then have an older girls do the "showing" and mentoring. This not only is a much better means of instruction, but it gives the younger girls positive role models aside what they might see on TV.

The good organizations will have teams that run the gamut from 10u to 18Gold and have their practices in such a way that the entire organization is together a few times a month. In addition, having the older girls doing the teaching contributes a great deal to their own development as athletes.

-W

May 25, 2010
What area of the country are you in?

One thing I've read many times around the forum is that TB coaches - even at 10u - do not spend a lot of time teaching softball skills. They work on game situations, but expect the girls to be able to manage the basics. Those who can't are expected to work on that stuff at home, outside of team practice time.

As a young pitcher's dad - who knows virtually nothing about the sport, let alone her position - the advice I've consistently been given is to let her call her own balls and strikes at practice AND to let her figure out how to hit the strike zone on her own instead of trying to 'coach' her into it.

In the case of the ground balls drill you mentioned, the coach should show them 'his/her way' once or twice and then expect the girls to perform the way he wants every single time. In at-home practice, you should make sure your daughter is doing it the coach's way every time.

As for your decision to change teams, I know you want her to be with 'better players', but maybe your daughter is best suited for rec ball right now. Depending on the player, rec ball could very well lead to stagnation or regression, but it could also give her a confidence boost and a chance to shine.

In short, there's no easy solution to your dilemma, but if you didn't feel the former team was the right fit for your family, then yes, you absolutely made the right choice in deciding to move on.

Aug 13, 2010
We are in the Northeast.

Without sounding like a parent who thinks his child is the best ever, my DD is much better than a Rec Level Player, that is why we went with travel ball. We have taken her (on a fairly regular basis) to private lessons during the season. During tournament season, there wasn't much time and by the end of the summer her swing, in particular, looked awful. She is strong and very tall for her age (she has been the tallest girl on her team and all the teams she has tried out for so far). We have been told by several instructors that she has talent (we as parents are still waiting for the light to go on though). So I am very confident that travel ball is the right environment for her. She is also a happy and friendly kid who would probably fit in socially with any team she makes the roster of.

Sep 3, 2009
It sounds like from what you say, if shes lacking fundamentals, then I don't think a B level, or A level team is the right fit. I'd probably look for a 12c team, and keep up on the lessons. A and B teams, the players should already have the fundamentals down. Honestly, coaches at that level are not looking to teach basics, and you may find it hard to find a spot for her at that level.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I know I sound like a broken record, but buy Howard Kobata's DVD and have her watch it. Then, you will know what to work on, with her.

Can you hit ground balls and fly balls to her? If not, just roll them, Kobata does that a lot.

Good luck.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm with Amy...

The best coach for a child is her parent. So, you, as a parent, have to learn the techniques. When her techniques start to fall apart, then you have to work with her to fix them. Fielding, hitting, whatever--the parent has to learn this stuff right along with the DD.

During tournament season, there wasn't much time and by the end of the summer her swing, in particular, looked awful

There is never enough time. Dad or Mom has to be an expert on the DD's swing and know what to do to fix the problems. That way, when she starts having problems, you and her can go in the backyard when you have some spare time and work through the problems.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
any coach worth the title should be showing/ telling the girls what to do if they arent doing it, and none will constantly be doing it perfect even at 18. It is easy to get sloppy and regress if you dont constantly focus. Reinforcing bad form is unnaceptable for a player, and for a team.

Feb 8, 2009
I believe your instincts are good. I wouldn't want any girl at 10u to play for a coach who didn't stress fundamentals first. The other posters that suggested you get better informed are right on , also. As your daughter moves up, you'll be surprised at the number of coaches who either ignore fundamentals, or lack a grasp of how to teach good mechanics.I know "good mechanics" is open to interpretation, but you should have an idea of what's in the ballpark. No pun intended.

Jul 9, 2010
any coach worth the title should be showing/ telling the girls what to do if they arent doing it

Could not agree more. Coach is a verb, and too many coaches don't get that. Even if it is TB, they can't possibly expect that players that young know how to play.

Many coaches seem to hide behind the fantasy softball approach - build your team through recruiting, rather than teaching, which does the kids a disservice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad