Are there S.B. Coaching Credentials?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Having run a rec program ...

Requirement #1 — do you have a pulse?
Requirement #2 — can you pass a background check?

Requirement #1 is negotiable. Requirement #2 is optional.

My biggest frustration when I ran the program was the unwillingness to step up, but the ease at which complaining occurred. It was a Catch 22 for me ... the whole point of the program was for kids to play ... so do I tell kids they can’t play because I can’t find decent coaches, or do I take mediocre coaches because I have kids that want to play?

I tried to develop training, clinics, etc. to provide “coaches“ with the support they needed. They wouldn’t show up. But they were there the first day they could get equipment and draft a team.

I hate to say it, but I gave up. I had a Board that was made up of those same people, so I had no backing.
The types of Board members that exist:
1. People like you that want to help and know what to do. (~10%)
2. People you described that are on the board but offer no help or support (just want to be there to help DD not miss an opportunity should it arise) (~50%)
3. People who never show up (~10%)
4. People who demand to do it their way (which is usually wrong, but the best opportunity for their family and/or DD), regardless of the overall effect on the players or organization. (~30%)

Since 90% of the Board by my estimates is not helpful, not a surprise that you could not make it happen.

BTW: Our board is much more like 60-80% in the first category, so we are very fortunate.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This
The types of Board members that exist:
1. People like you that want to help and know what to do. (~10%)
2. People you described that are on the board but offer no help or support (just want to be there to help DD not miss an opportunity should it arise) (~50%)
3. People who never show up (~10%)
4. People who demand to do it their way (which is usually wrong, but the best opportunity for their family and/or DD), regardless of the overall effect on the players or organization. (~30%)

Since 90% of the Board by my estimates is not helpful, not a surprise that you could not make it happen.

BTW: Our board is much more like 60-80% in the first category, so we are very fortunate.

This % breakdown really speaks to the situation that affects everybody. Seems accurate probably in many cases!
Like the thinking process in it too!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Lets face it, a lot of the coaches have dds who were good at a very early age and so, want to make sure that they keep a hand in the coaching of their dd. After all, often, there is a reason that their dd is good. When my dd was 8, she had a coach who was perfect for her stage of development and he wanted help. I helped. He was laid back and all about fundamentals. Each time she made a change in teams, I was asked to be an assistant. I did so until she turned 16. Then, I stepped aside to let others coach her. I still coached her in HS.

My qualifications? Ex Expert!

Dec 11, 2010
I have a different perspective. Between the two dd’s each had one or two really good coaches. Most played but one in particular never played. He would rather coach basketball but court time was too hard to find. It had been a really long time since the rest threw or hit a ball in competition.

The best coach either dd had learned what he needed from books. Seriously. Pre-internet. Then he created a training environment that made it happen. He broke all the rules. Four pitching machines at practices. Parents helped at practice. Dome tournaments? No. Winter is for practice. League instead of practice? Hell no. Would rather practice. His teams were very good. It helped that he was extremely intelligent and is an excellent communicator.

Nearly every coach either dd had that earned Total Jackass status was a former player. There isn’t a cause and effect there, I'm just that people value it way too much.

All had about the same level of credentials.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have a different perspective. Between the two dd’s each had one or two really good coaches. Most played but one in particular never played. He would rather coach basketball but court time was too hard to find. It had been a really long time since the rest threw or hit a ball in competition.

He learned what he needed from books. Seriously. Pre-internet. Then he created a training environment that made it happen. He broke all the rules. Parents helped at practice. Dome tournaments? No. Winter is for practice. League instead of practice? Hell no. Would rather practice. His teams were very good. It helped that he was extremely intelligent and is an excellent communicator.

Nearly every coach either dd had that earned Total Jackass status was a former player. There isn’t a cause and effect there, it’s just that people value it way too much.
Great points here Westwind

Coach is just a word

Inteligent
Educated
Communicator

Are attributes that make
A good coach!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

The best coach either dd had learned what he needed from books. Seriously. Pre-internet. Then he created a training environment that made it happen. He broke all the rules. Four pitching machines at practices. Parents helped at practice. Dome tournaments? No. Winter is for practice. League instead of practice? Hell no. Would rather practice. His teams were very good. It helped that he was extremely intelligent and is an excellent communicator.

Nearly every coach either dd had that earned Total Jackass status was a former player. There isn’t a cause and effect there, I'm just that people value it way too much.

All had about the same level of credentials.

I used to coach with a guy who is one of the most experienced ball players you'll ever find. He didn't play at the pro level, but played college baseball, men's fastpitch, and is one of the best competitive slow-pitch players in his age group in the country. It's in his blood, and he's also a great guy. However, he couldn't really teach what he knew. Physically, he could do anything asked, including pitch BP from the circle...accurately. His kid was a decent player despite some pretty bad fundamentals.

DD's current coach is self-taught. I don't believe he played any organized ball ever, but he's been coaching for a long time, and is a pretty good teacher of fundamentals. Playing is often a good foundation, but unless there's a talent for teaching, it may not translate.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA