Are outfielders just former infielders?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Question to go with the most overlooked/under coached position thread...Are outfielders at the higher levels of just former infielders or have they been playing the outfield all along?

My experience is that with a few exceptions they are former infielders that were moved to the outfield.

Last edited:
Probably yes, what is a coach to do when you have two or three great SS on your team they can't all play there, so where else do you need good speed, athletic ability and a good arm....the OF.

I actually did that this year on my 14U team I had two girls that could really play SS well one of them spent 3/4 of her time in CF just for this very reason. I needed someone that could cover ground out there and had a good arm.

Apr 11, 2012
a few colleges do that, which is not very bright IMO, as just like any postion, it takes practice to be perfect....like taking a step back on hard hit liners, running 30 yards and diving for a ball, hitting cuttoffs, making that perfect throw to second, third or home.... we have two great outfielders (LF and CF) and use RF for the extra infielder and that is our weakess link every game....being an outfielder takes skill, and for TB teams who discount that, it's a good way to lose some infielders players who won't accept being made to play the outfield by default.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Outfielders in college are girls who can hit the ball. Period. If you can hit the ball they don't care what you played in HS or Travel. They will find you a spot if you can't win the one you prefer.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Making that conversion now with my 3B/SS from the regular season in 12u. She's just flat out the best option I have for CF: speedy, instinctual, aggressive, and has a cannon for an arm. She's thrown out 2 girls at home already, and almost turned a single up the middle into an 8-3 putout. She's also hauled in some sinking liners that would have been singles or doubles with anyone else. As a previous commenter noted, you can't hide a poor fielder in the outfield; they may not have to make as many plays as an infielder does, but when they do, their mistakes cost you more. A good CF is worth every bit as much as any infielder. Fortunately, I have other decent options at 3B and SS, where she would shine as well. But with a runner on 2nd and less than 2 out, I find myself sometimes hoping for a hit to center, so I can enjoy the show.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Outfielders in college are girls who can hit the ball. Period. If you can hit the ball they don't care what you played in HS or Travel. They will find you a spot if you can't win the one you prefer.

THIS^^^^^^^

At my dd's college, all of the outfielders were recruited as outfielders. My dd was also recruited as an OF. She's now an infielder.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have seen many infielders that can't judge a fly ball off the bat. Yes some colleges do move a SS to OF, but today you see them recruiting good outfielders. Many are very fast lefty slappers if you watch the WCW and as someone mentioned, they can hit! DD was recruited as a CF , it didn't hurt that she has great speed.

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
Depends on the situation. On talented teams the players are often interchanged depending on the situation. The fastest little player I've ever seen play was put in center field this weekend. She's a natural SS. She's moved where she's needed most and it pays off because she also becomes the best outfielder on the team.