Are better players treated different?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
One thing I have a problem with is handicapping a player for one team or the other can affect the outcome of a game. Umps having an effect on the outcome is not how it is suppose to go IMO.

I brought this up because I was wondering if this was common practice, like in golf playing with a handicap. Maybe it happens, the ump just told on himself this time. We ended losing the game 4-2, daughter second at bat hit a fly ball off the handle well inside, she only batted 2 times in the time limited game.

Oct 19, 2009
It does happen all the time. I have just never heard an umpire boldly declare it.

Also see the opposite where an elite team is playing a lesser named team. Umpire gets complacent thinking the elite team can do no wrong and all the close calls go in their favor. Makes it all that much tougher for the unknown team to compete.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Nobody likes a game with a bunch of walks, so I do not mind an umpire being a little more 'liberal' with the strike zone to get the batters swinging the bat. In your post you also did not mention what age or level ball your daughter was playing. If she is hitting 250 ft home runs in rec ball, then she is 'sandbagging' and I would not blame the umpire for 'expanding' her strike zone.......just sayin'

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Rec ball is a different animal. Our umpires routinely tell us that they squeeze the good pitchers and expand for the bad pitchers to "even things out". We don't like it but accept it as a reality.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Does it happen? Yes, I've seen it many times

Should it happen? No, an umpire's job is to call a game, not change it

True; rec ball is a different animal than travel ball. BUT!!!!!!! An umpire's job is still the same, call it the same on both sides. He/she should never try to change the result of a game, ever.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole