Are better players treated different?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I don’t consider my daughter an elite SB player, but a good solid player who is a work in progress. She was playing Sunday first at bat first pitch a 2 run homer, next at bat the ump tells my daughter and the catcher something when she walks up to the plate to hit. :confused:

On the way home we’re talking about the day and I ask her what the ump said to her and the catcher. She said he told her and the catcher they, the umps, were not going to stand back here and let her hit ball after ball, that they were calling anything close and she had better start swinging at anything close. He was true to his word first pitch at the knees a strike and it only got worse. Even under these circumstances she managed to hit 500 for the day.

We work on hitting balls 6 inches low, high, inside and outside from a tee which Howard/Hitter described in some of his post. In a situation like this it came in real handy and we had worked on it 3 days before the games.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The ump should have the same stike zone for eveyone. I don't mind if a girl is really struggling and they expand the zone for her a bit to avoid a total walkathon blowout; but to tell a good hitter anything close is a stike and she better be swinging is BS.

Oct 14, 2008
You have hitting umps and pitching umps. She defiantly had a pitching ump there. And yes it happens. The better she gets the more you will see it. The zone gets larger corners get wider. On a 2 strike count look out for breaking balls that almost wind up in the opposite batters box they will try to set her down.

Works the same way in college. Some blues force the pitcher into the zone and cause her to get hammered. And some call some movement you just have to scratch your head at.

Always remember....the bigger the stud, the bigger the zone once her name gets out.

Tim

Feb 3, 2011
At the younger ages, on the pitching side, I have seen it quite a bit. Do not recall seeing it for a batter.

At the younger ages, it benefits the batters by encouraging them to swing. The more swings a 8u/10u/12u player executes in a game, the more successful they are likely to be.

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter is 17.

I told my daughter her that something like this gives her the opportunity to test herself on pitches she would not normally swing at. Even though we swing at balls off the tee outside the zone it is different hitting them from live pitching.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don’t consider my daughter an elite SB player, but a good solid player who is a work in progress. She was playing Sunday first at bat first pitch a 2 run homer, next at bat the ump tells my daughter and the catcher something when she walks up to the plate to hit. :confused:

On the way home we’re talking about the day and I ask her what the ump said to her and the catcher. She said he told her and the catcher they, the umps, were not going to stand back here and let her hit ball after ball, that they were calling anything close and she had better start swinging at anything close. He was true to his word first pitch at the knees a strike and it only got worse. Even under these circumstances she managed to hit 500 for the day.

We work on hitting balls 6 inches low, high, inside and outside from a tee which Howard/Hitter described in some of his post. In a situation like this it came in real handy and we had worked on it 3 days before the games.

Well on the bright side, at least he warned her.

Jan 31, 2011

I believe this type of umpiring is BS. Their job is not to equalize things, its to call the game according to the rules. Sounds to me he is one of those umps where the games has to be about them...

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
In rec ball have had umpires say that they know it was a ball but batter was good enough that she could hit the pitch. On the other side have had some really tight strike zones. Never allowed the girls to use bad umpiring as an excuse, however it is very frustrating but this is just another life lesson to teach the girls - life is not always fair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole