applying riseball spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

just thinking out loud here but if you are a turn the knob on a rise type PC would you recommend pre-cocking the wrist so when you are coming down the back of the circle the fingers are pointed towards third with the fingers on top of the ball and the thumb on the bottom the wrist/fingers are "loaded" to twist/snap at release or start the circle with the wrist fingers/wrist in a neutral position. Kind of like a Pre-load swing where there is no or little negative move because the spring is already wound up?

PTC

Jun 13, 2009
That finch grip looks like a change up the way she has the entire ball sucked into her palm. But I have no idea how she holds it.

cg

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I think cocking the wrist like you have just screwed in a light bulb and then letting the centrifugal force of the pitch create the snap needed is the best way to go. If done consistently you will get great spin and you don't have to worry about the timing of the "spin". I have had really good success with this.

Apr 19, 2010
just thinking out loud here but if you are a turn the knob on a rise type PC would you recommend pre-cocking the wrist so when you are coming down the back of the circle the fingers are pointed towards third with the fingers on top of the ball and the thumb on the bottom the wrist/fingers are "loaded" to twist/snap at release or start the circle with the wrist fingers/wrist in a neutral position. Kind of like a Pre-load swing where there is no or little negative move because the spring is already wound up?

PTC

IMO if goal is to create true riseball spin - that "cocking" of the wrist tightens the wrist and forearm thus creating a pushed spiral motion - I ask my students - which does the ball leave first, your palm/hand, arm, eyes, nose, feet or fingers? Teach the fingers to know their job then once powered up the fingers will naturally react. A forced motion creates a slower release.

C101

Someone had asked about the double ball for spin training on another thread....thought I'd post this old clip here for a demo on this training tool. Not trying to sell product here (don't offer this for sale anymore), but do think this is a decent tool.....also, excuse the misspeak relative to horizontal axis when demoing the curveball...it should be vertical axis.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I've seen Bill Hillhouse use such a ball device for learning the riseball, but he throws it end-over-end (backward rotation, of course).

Jul 14, 2008
I've seen Bill Hillhouse use such a ball device for learning the riseball, but he throws it end-over-end (backward rotation, of course).

2zfokgj.gif

I've seen Bill's demo of this in the past. I've tried his method but could not get what I thought was the correct spin axis on the ball. He may be using a finger tip grip that adjusts the axis for him. Would hope Bill could chime in on this one so we could all get another perspective.

Jun 13, 2009
I am not going to speak for Bill but, I can tell you that even the way the balls are put together is different from the ball Bill uses when throwing his rise. He teaches it very differently than Rick shows in his video clip... and I'm not saying one is bad or one is good, it's just very different.

cg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA