Anyone have any experience dealing with daughter having costochondritis?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2010
My daughter recently went to the doctor with shortness of breath. She was diagnosed with costochondritis. She is a pitcher and practices or plays almost year round. Just wondering how much pitching actually contibutes to the problem. Anyone out there have any insight?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
One of our kids had this a few years ago. Most cases of costochondritis have no apparent cause. In these cases, treatment focuses on easing your pain while you wait for costochondritis to improve on its own. What I can remember, she has moved away, she had to take time off. It's been 3-4 years ago.

I am not a doctor, so do whatever the doc recommends. What did he say about exercise and treatment?

Jan 30, 2010
The doctor recommending Ibuprofen before pitching alot. Ice or heat to the chest when she is bothered whichever helps the most. He didn't seem to worried. Hope he's right.

Oct 22, 2009
My DD had it twice while in college. I believe hers was viral and she was pretty ill, hurt to breath, she went on antibiotics.

Jan 19, 2010
As a chiropractor, I have had excellent success treating this with minimal visits. Do your research and find someone in your area that is sports minded. If it is not improved dramatically in the first week of care, consider looking elsewhere.

Jan 30, 2010
Rocker,

Thanks for the advice. The family chirapractor has exerience with athletics and has already started treating her for this condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw