Anyone ever hear of a D1 Scholarship to a less than average student?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter has had a few coaches talk to her, she is 15. The first question so far has been how are the grades.

Dec 28, 2008
1. Women's Sports tend to set a higher standard than men's sports in many areas. For instance you don't see the level of whining/complaining/tantrums on the field in softball that you see in baseball.
2. Women's Sports has fewer opportunities to go pro than men's sports so for the student it is much better to have a higher standard.
3. As was mentioned majority of scholarships for schools will be partials. If the coach can get a great athlete for half price, because the other half comes from academics that student is very attractive.
4. Courses, and not just grades are also going to be important. They want to see someone who challenges themself and doesn't take the Health/PE/Family Science easy A courses, they want to see the AP type courses. That desire to want to be the best and work hard is what they are looking for, plus it lets them know that the student will perform in college.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
They want to see someone who challenges themself and doesn't take the Health/PE/Family Science easy A courses,

College coaches were people before they became softball coaches. They are motivated by the same things that motivate all of us--i.e., money. College coaches get paid bonuses for winning. They get fired if they lose.

If the college coach believes that the child will increase the coach's income, he will give the child a scholarship. If the coach doesn't, the child won't get a scholarship.

Generally, the pitchers and catchers get full ride scholarships. One other kid, usually the best hitter on the team, gets a full ride. The coach then takes the rest of available scholarships and divides them among the other players.

Jun 13, 2010
It definitley is a double standard. Here is an example. In our high school we once had a kid who could barley pass even with a paid toutor. But he could throw a 97 mph fast ball and had great accuracy. He could not get a college to even talk to him. But he got a huge sighning bonus with a pro team.

Their was also a girl on an opposing team in our league. she was fantasic as a catcher. She was firts tem all league 3 straight years and had a Varsity batting average for 3 years of .677 . She did not go to college at all she had tobe on acedemic probation all through school. Colleges would not touch her.

But I have seen straight a average players get scolarships.

May 5, 2008
Yes, and I also hear of athletes being able to get into colleges at lower academic standards than non-athletes as well as certain sports being able to tweak that a little more than others. HOWEVER - athlete MUST still meet NCAA eligibility requirements to be eligible to play as far as the NCAA is concerned and those standards aren't all that lofty.

Some athletic programs are allowed to grant a student-athlete admission to the school so long as they meet the NCAA eligibility requirement and, if they are a good enough player, yes, some do get scholarship $$$.

I've heard of student-athletes signing NLI and having to complete a summer bridge course in order to get everything squared away.

That said, I still highly encourage any young lady to work extra hard in the classroom to give herself the most opportunities possible softball or otherwise.

Last edited:
T

TulsaEliteGold

I work with Student Athletes getting them recruited and signed all the time. It is very important that someone on your Athlete's Travel Team understands the standards of admission and the sliding scale for athletes. If not, you better do your own homework.

The FACTS - there is a sliding scale for Athletes to be admitted to Division One Universities, YES, even the Pac 10, SEC and Big 12. The lower the GPA, the higher the ACT/SAT scores must be and vice versa. The basic minimum standards that I have had players admitted and receive scholarships even to Big 12 programs, was a 3.50 GPA and an 18 on the ACT. I heard of a girl who had a 4.00 GPA and was admitted with a 17, but in my experience 18 and 3.50 has been the magic minimum number. Now if they have a low GPA but score high on ACT/SAT Test, they could get in as well.

The following links will explain in great detail. Every University has an Admissions Index, but they are similar. I posted the one from Cal for Fall 2012.

NCAA Freshman Eligibility Sheet (Athletes):
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=af238a804e0b869285bcf51ad6fc8b25

Admissions Index for Guaranteed Admission for Fall 2012 (Univ of Cal)
Admissions Index for Guaranteed Admission for Fall 2012

Attachments

• FreshmanIndexCha&#114.pdf
    14.9 KB · Views: 0

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Interesting discussion but everyone is talking as though getting into college is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, which it's not.

This subject always brings to mind the question of whether it is worthwhile for a (female) student to play a college sport, let alone take a scholarship for that sport.
My understanding is that for DI you are there as an athlete first and a student 2nd, DII is about 50/50 and DIII is student 1st, sports second- I got this from a graduate college athlete who now works at our local batting cage.

Given the prices of universities, I'm trying to figure out what careers are worth the money spent on the education without even considering sport in the equation. To me, there would be few who could perform a sport at the highest level while also performing in the classroom at the highest level. I take notice whenever they mention a player with a good GPA and their Major is something demanding (like Engineering or Microbiology or something). I remember seeing a Womens College Basketball player who was pre-med and maintained just under a 4.0 while also being a standout player. Without a serious undergraduate degree, you're looking at grad school and more debt.

Also, the pro sports that exist for women do not pay well. It's great for the fans (as long as the team lasts) but not so great for the athletes.

May 25, 2010
Given the prices of universities, I'm trying to figure out what careers are worth the money spent on the education without even considering sport in the equation.

There's no question that the concern you raise is quite valid today and it's likely we'll see it become even more accurate over the next decade, especially as we continue shifting ever more to a service-based economy.

But that being said, I still believe that college experience is worth something, even if you cannot put a dollar amount on the value of the classroom education itself. Transitional life value aside, the main reason I still advise kids to go to college is for the networking opportunities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad