Anyone ever hear of a D1 Scholarship to a less than average student?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
I realize the question implies that my DD is an below average student, But I can truthfully state that she is a solid 3.5 or better every year. (math being her Achilles) I ask the question, because obviously many of these same schools give scholarships to football players who couldn't legitimately pass the 8th grade.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that Men's sports are the programs breadwinners, my kid is only 12, but I have started to read up on the recruitment process, and everything I read says your DD better be an overachiever in the classroom as well, is this pretty true?

It seems like a huge double standard to me.. Not that it's anything that women in sports have not noticed, and dealt with for years.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I hear people say that a students grade point ave. can drop a whole point in college. I think that is why coaches look for the over achievers.

Yes, I do know a major D1 player and professional softball player who wasn't a good student. At least her GPA was given as a 2.8 in college. But she was among the top 5 nationally at her position and was a HR hitter.

And, she grew up and went to HS in the same town as the major university where she played.

There are examples of girls that become ineligible their first semester and are still able to right the ship. But they have to be one of the top recruits around, for the coach to give them much slack.

Has your DD tried tutoring? Maybe the light would go on for her. Also, some girls realize the importance of their grades and take a summer off from traveling to go to summer school.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not oblivious to the fact that Men's sports are the programs breadwinners, my kid is only 12, but I have started to read up on the recruitment process, and everything I read says your DD better be an overachiever in the classroom as well, is this pretty true?

No. College softball coaches are treated like the other team coaches--they have a salary, and then they get a performance bonus based upon wins/conference title/CWS appearances. So, the most important thing to the coach is winning.

The second most important thing to a coach is "baby sitting". How much time am I going to have to spend to keep the kid in school?

So, coaches will spend more time baby sitting great athletes. They have less patience for baby sitting with lesser athletes.

Again, I've been around a D3 girls hoops team and a D1 softball team. None of the kids were brilliant. There were a few above average kids. Almost all of the athletes were average students.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Has your DD tried tutoring? Maybe the light would go on for her. Also, some girls realize the importance of their grades and take a summer off from traveling to go to summer school.

As I said Amy, She is a solid student, She has made Honor roll 2 of the last 3 years, I may get her help with math, but I suspect it was the dislike of her math teacher that caused the dip in her math grade.
I posed the question after reading a thread about Dexter Manley in one of my NFL forums.
He was an Oklahoma State University player who played in the NFL.. It was discovered while he was a Washington Redskin, that he was completely illiterate.

May 25, 2010
Totally depends on the sport, the 'level', and the school. There was talk during the WCWS about specific players who'd had to step it up in the classroom in order to receive or maintain their scholarships...the one girl from Alabama (was it Charlotte Morgan?) comes to mind.

It's only been since graduating that I've known anyone who went to a D1 school on a softball scholarship and just generalizing, I'd only put one, maybe two of them in the super-book smart category. I'm sure there are others, but they don't stand out as such, nor have they indicated otherwise.

As the competition for scholarship dollars increases, yes, there's value in being a top-tier athlete, but I'm old-school - if you're a .600 hitter AND you're a superstar in the classroom and your community, then you're the kid I want in my program. However, at a large number of D1 programs, they'll go for the .668 hitter with the 2.5 GPA.

So, over the next 5 years, if your daughter is a potential D1 talent, you can expect her to be in competition with girls who aren't as smart or who don't put as much time into their studies.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I have seen girls who were straight A students at school, fail to pass state tests to get promoted or graduate. GPA isnt all there is. Standardized tests, ACT , SAT etc will tell a lot, all schools are not equal, far from it.

Jun 21, 2010
I have no direct experience, but isn't it true that most softball players only receive partial scholarships?

If so, the coaches may be looking for the better student, expecting them to be able to get some academic scholarship money, therefore allowing the coach to be able to spread his softball money out to more players.

Of course, a true elite player would get more softball money.

Jan 20, 2010
Depends on the school. It would be difficult for a poor student to gain entrance into many Pac-10 schools for any sport including football.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If all things are equal, I would think that a coach would take an A student over a B student.

I hear stories about "kiddo" verbals and then, stops taking her AP classes, gets Bs and find herself with no scholarship.

When I coached at Springfield College in IL. the athlete's ACT had to be an 18 or above. An 18 was considered pretty low on the average scale.
I saw girls apply with a 13 and they had no idea that was bad.

May 25, 2010
As with anything else in life, having the most competitive resumé possible will generally give you the most options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad