Any comments?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Englishbey coined the phrase refusing to join in other guru's declarations that they and only they know the way to the one and only MLB swing and/or that they teach the MLB swing. None of them worked with Bonds growing up and so, Bonds founded the "ideal" via all of those cues and drills scoffed at by most of the gurus. I have found it absurd, at times, that people claim that their son has a MLB swing while at the same time Harper et.al. playing in the Major Leagues does not. Granted, I understand the concept of the "ideal swing" and agree with pstein that there are absolutes as he mentioned consistent in exceptional MLB hitters. As an FYI I recall the attacks on some of these guys and I'll use Ankiel as an example of a few years back, and certainly Harper is the current whipping boy, that their swing does not match Bonds. No kidding! Still, while Ankiel will not be in the Hall of Fame, he was able to sustain a MLB career as a hitter/OF for 7 years which would have qualified him for a nice retirement from MLB without his pitching resume. Most of us would be estatic had our child achieved that!

With regards to Fast Pitch Softball, many of us have tried for years to produce a similar swing to Pujols or Bonds in our daughters. I really can't say I've seen that done. Yet, the good news for us is that in my experience players such as my dd can have outstanding careers in high school and at the collegiate level by working on trying to achieve those goals of the high level swing. It does improve their production and success. Per my child, I'll see a swing or two and think my goodness what was that. Then, she'll hit one out as she did against the Chicago Bandits over the 225 fence and I'll think wow, that was a tremendous swing. It is what it is and as a dad, I'm just glad that I could share in the journey and that she also enjoy it. Some people, and one in particular want to rip her apart. Yet, she is having fun, and will someday make a great teacher and coach. JMHO!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Cannon, you coach BB right? I wish you were that guy to make the instructional video for a HLBB swing, and fastpitch's version of it. I believe you could accomplish it with out the BS spin for your own gratitude.

I do not have a high level swing, but it was good enough to get me to college and as a pitcher I was not DH'ed for. Which is rare.

One thing that haunts me to this day. I saw a bunch of guys from 17u thru college that had some real natural talent. ( pitchers and hitters ) They were MADE to conform to the mass ideology of the positions. I saw most of them fade. If you are are successful and make it to the next level, why mess with anything UNTIL it starts to fail at that new level? We can now break down Babe Ruth's batting, he did have good mechanics for the time, but most of that was natural abilities. They didn't have .01% of the knowledge, training, or instructional equipment of today.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
GOINGDEEP, yes, I was BB's coach. The thing is, I've never made a claim that she has a high level swing. I have made the claim that she has worked hard and has had success. Detractors say that she isn't any good. Yet, if she never played another game and after only one year in college ball, she would be listed in her college's career records. My point is that she believes in what she does and that is over half of the battle. Sometime, I might post video of her at 10, 13 and 16. I am positive I have video of her at those ages that I can get my hands on. While none of those swings are optimum, it may give members some idea of one player as she went through the process.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Thank you Cannonball, I enjoy reading your post. It says to me that you get it and your dd as well. I would love to see her video's, but it could open up you and your dd to the pack of wolves. I miss reading some of the other posters that don't come on here as much anymore. You and those other fathers of girls that have worked hard and were aways willing to share, their ideas and drills are worth more then the so called experts that only post video of MLB players (of which they have most likely never even helped) wont even post any videos of their students. Not all of them I will admit (Dr. Chris Yeager has posted students). Keep up the good work.

Oct 14, 2008
If you show vids or pics of your dd here you will defiantly get a lot of love. I think what has surprised me the most is the attitude that a lot here and on other web sites have towards softball players swings. If someone like Cannonball,s dd is successful then its not her swing but its either her size, bat, the ball or the short fences. If it were only those things and not the players skills wouldn't everyone be hitting home runs?

Nice post Cannonball I agree with you.

Aug 29, 2012
After reading this thread for a few days now I, for some reason, feel the need to add my two cents worth. Reading all of the different comments of this girl's swing pretty much sums up what I feel is the number one problem in the game today. Everyone wants to change someone to do it "this way." Yes you have to swing a bat to hit a ball, but swinging is not hitting. Yes we try to teach the same type of swing that "elite athletes" use.

Too many people, and I have been guilty of it as well, think that all kids should be able to acheive what these "world class athletes" have. Part of the reason the these "world class athletes" have got to where they are is because they're "world class athletes". There is only one Albert Pujols, Ted Williams, etc.. These are incredibly gifted individuals either doing or have done things that virtually know one else can or has done. And just because you have the so called "model swing" doesn't automatically make you a great hitter. Everyone on this forum I guarantee has witnessed someone which who has had the HLBB but couldn't hit to save their life. I had a young lady on my team this past year that if I had video of her swing off the tee you would think she's a tremendous hitter. Once she stepped into the box it was all over. I tried everything, including much of what I read here on this site, but was unable to help her. It wasn't anything with her swing. So just looking at a video of one swing there is no one in this world that can say she won't be good doing that way. The only way to truely know if its a good swing or not is to know the bottom line. Is she hitting. If she was hitting over .400 and was world famous we all would say that's a HLBB swing. My comment to the OP. I wish my youngest DD had that poor of a swing.

I have been able to attend alot of clinics over the last 5-6 years and have listened and learned from likes of Doug Finch, Steve Englishby, Epstien, Crews etc. And the only "absolute" that I have learned is that they all have egos. I realize that's partly what makes them successful, but that's the only absolute. 20 years ago hitting was being taught much different than it is now. Whats to say we won't be teaching it differently in another 20 years. In 20 years we could look back on what we do now and say "what the hell were we thinking?" We all have done something to ask ourselves this. Why would this be any different.

Sue Enquist says this game is made for everyone of all shapes and sizes. If thats true, does every shape big and small have to fit throught the same hole to be great. I don't think they do. If this young lady continues on her path and not only plays for, but gets a degree from a D1 university, than I say her swing was pretty damn good.

Feb 14, 2010
Don't be afraid to post your DD's video here because of possible ridicule. I've posted many videos of my DD on here from the start of our journey to present time and not once have I ever worried about ridicule on here or other sites. I frankly wanted the feedback good or bad and I just filtered what I agreed with and asked questions. My DD had a horrible swing when we started and we are still working to better it everyday. My DD has received her first big D1 offer and has visits set up to several others. Without the bad feedback this wouldn't of happened.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Funny you mention Doug Finch. I had a kid come to me that had a lesson with Doug Finch. Both the hitter and the parent told me that Doug was instructing them to lay the bat back towards the catcher. It looked ugly.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Don't be afraid to post your DD's video here because of possible ridicule. I've posted many videos of my DD on here from the start of our journey to present time and not once have I ever worried about ridicule on here or other sites. I frankly wanted the feedback good or bad and I just filtered what I agreed with and asked questions. My DD had a horrible swing when we started and we are still working to better it everyday. My DD has received her first big D1 offer and has visits set up to several others. Without the bad feedback this wouldn't of happened.

I just said that the other day....show me a girl that was treated badly on here. This post was "please comment" and thats what happened. This is as harsh as it has ever been, and I still don't think it is bad. If you don't like posts that show mlb hitters, don't look at them. If you don't like what other sites say, don't look at them, and don't assume the battle continues here. If you want people to know that girls can be successful without a mlb be swing, then great, start a thread. Don't act like anyone that sets the top level swing as a goal is wrong. No one on THIS site has dogged on any girl's swing. I am happy that a lot of girl's have had success, and glad that can be shared on here, but if you don't include anything about how she got there, that helps no one. Guess my main compliant is others complaining of technical hitting talk that is happening on the hitting technical forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd