Any advice for my dd this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My 15 y/o dd will be pitching against a juco in a round robin this weekend. She is so nervous about it! I told her to just go out there and pitch and have fun! She gave me that look that teenage girls seem to save for their mother's, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, I always tell my players that "nervous" is for people that don't practice. So, let the JUCO Players be nervous. Secondly, enjoy the moment. It is fun to play against tough competition. It is a great way to find out where you are and what you need to work on.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Resist the temptation to overthrow! While it might seem counter intuitive, slower and controlled is far better than fast and loose. In fact, the slower the better as that will be a harder adjustment if these JUCOs are accustomed to heat.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Advice for pitching? A few phrases come to mind:

"Rock it from the pocket"
"Get whippy from the hippy"
"Pitch with a purpose" (Closely related to "Practice with a purpose")
"The only thing that matters is the next pitch or play"
"Sell it!"
"When in doubt, close your eyes and trust your form" (closely followed by...)
"Gloves save hands and masks save smiles--you need both so don't forget either"
"Kerrack that whip!" (Seems like only the parents get that one...)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
She needs to remember that we all have nervous energy before a big game, speech, being in a new situation, etc. She should embrace it and not be fearful. The other point is that the anticipation of the event is worse than the actual event and her nervousness will subside once the game starts. She will do fine.

I disagree that the results don't matter. Of course they do, but the process is just as important.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
She needs to remember that we all have nervous energy before a big game, speech, being in a new situation, etc. She should embrace it and not be fearful. The other point is that the anticipation of the event is worse than the actual event and her nervousness will subside once the game starts. She will do fine.

I disagree that the results don't matter. Of course they do, but the process is just as important.

Of course results matter. The deeper point is that focusing on what is beyond your control is a sure path to failure. If you go into a contest focused on winning, you will most likely lose.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2016
Over all, I think she did well. She did have her 1st over the fence home run hit off of a riseball! Other then that, she was hitting her spots and getting a lot of pop outs and grounders. She had a couple of strikeouts sprinkled in too! It is definitely a learning experience!

Jun 14, 2016
I agree, she was throwing a lot of low curveballs that was giving them fits. I really didn't want her to throw a rise because she has just started throwing it with success in games but I'm not calling the pitches! She learned that a riseball that hangs in the strike zone will get hit out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut