Another Play at the Plate...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
We're in a pool play game last night. Bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter chops one to the pitcher's right, who moved over, fielded the ball clean, and flipped it home. Catcher was BEHIND the plate, bobbled (but caught) the ball and lunged forward and tagged the plate with her glove with the ball in it. Beat the runner by a full step. Ump called runner safe.

Trying not to come unglued, I asked the ump why was she safe. He responded (after the opposing "begging" coach got his word in first) that the catcher was blocking the plate. I asked how she could be blocking the plate when she was BEHIND it?!? He said that by lunging she took away the path. I argued she was never in front of the plate or in a base path. No luck. I tried giving blue an out asking if there was some rule that said the runner had to be tagged in a force situation at the plate. He said no and went back to his "she was bocking the plate" explanation.

I say she was out...am I wrong?

Jan 15, 2009
Sounds like an out to me. Once she had posession of the ball she can block the plate, lay on it, make a moat around it whatever she wants. No such thing as a catcher possessing the ball obstructing a runner after gaining posession of the ball. Obstruction has to happen before ball is controlled. If she had to lunge forward after controlling the ball to touch the plate then there is no way she was in an obstructing position prior to having control.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
From what you describe she sounds out to me. And once your catcher has possession of the ball, I don't believe there is any problem with her blocking access to the plate even if she did. She can't do it before she has possession, but once she has control she should be able to stand wherever she wants. Unless ASA has changed the rule in the last year.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
From your description I would say out.... but with that, why do you have your catcher behind the plate with a force out at home? Or better yet, with 2 outs and a comebacker to the pitcher why not just make the play at 1st?

Mar 13, 2010
Because sometimes players do the wrong thing.

Defenitly out. The second you have the ball, you can do whatever you want to the plate, including blocking.

Apr 8, 2010
From your description I would say out.... but with that, why do you have your catcher behind the plate with a force out at home? Or better yet, with 2 outs and a comebacker to the pitcher why not just make the play at 1st?

fair question...two mistakes were made as you point out: the play should have been at first and the catcher should have been in front of the plate. i guess my pitcher just saw a quick play at home and took it (and im fine with that). if the ball wasnt bobbled, there would have been more time to make a tag, and hopefully give the ump a better view of the play (i'm guessing).

it was a poorly called game all around. i was especially upset b/c the field ump is this particular association's chief umpire and had to be reminded of the rules on several occassions by my staff. we lost, to a FAR inferior team, but i cant blame the umps. we were off. we played this team again last night and won by an appropriate margin in 3 innings: 18 - 0.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
if the ball wasnt bobbled, there would have been more time to make a tag, and hopefully give the ump a better view of the play (i'm guessing).

Like everyone else says, she is out based on your description. However, there is no need to make a tag on the force out. Why take a chance on the ball getting knocked out of the glove. She could actually have had the ball in her glove and touched home plate with her other hand (or toe, or knee, etc) and gotten the force.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00