Another interference question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Typically middle schools will follow the same rule sets as the high schools. My daughter is coaching her middle school team and even though it is a charter school athletic association they go by NFHS rules with some minor modifications such as time limits and inning restrictions. Being it was a middle school game I would bet the umpire was not very experienced. My daughters team had their first game yesterday and it was obvious the umpire had no clue about the rules even though he told me, and I quote, "You do not want to get into a rules discussion with me because I know all the rules." I just kept my mouth shut because he was warning and restriction happy and had already restricted my daughter to the bench along with a couple of the players.

I will admit that this made me smile and LOL.

Sep 21, 2011
In ASA once the ball is deflected the runner has to do something intentional to interfere.

Comp, after the ball is deflected does the fielder also have to do something intentional in order to obstruct in ASA? I saw a similar play where F6 made an initial play by diving to field a low liner but the ball deflected off her glove. Immediately after the ball deflected off her glove, F6 and the runner bumped into each other. The umpire called obstruction and explained that since F6 missed the ball, she was in the base path without possession and therefore it's obstruction. It seems impossible to expect the fielder to instantly vanish in this situation.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Comp, after the ball is deflected does the fielder also have to do something intentional in order to obstruct in ASA? I saw a similar play where F6 made an initial play by diving to field a low liner but the ball deflected off her glove. Immediately after the ball deflected off her glove, F6 and the runner bumped into each other. The umpire called obstruction and explained that since F6 missed the ball, she was in the base path without possession and therefore it's obstruction. It seems impossible to expect the fielder to instantly vanish in this situation.

Saw that in the MLB playoffs last year and that is basically how it is.

Sep 21, 2011
Wondering specifically how it is called in ASA softball. In most other baseball or softball organizations, the fielder is still protected if they don't have to move beyond their immediate reach. Some even allow a step and reach.

Jun 22, 2008
That is the way the rule is written as well as case plays and general instruction given at umpire clinics. If the defense no longer has the ball and is not fielding a batted ball they cant be in the way of runners. I will have to double check on rule sets with the step and reach rule, but my recollection is the fielder still needs to be actively fielding the ball. In the case presented where the fielder dove and is laying on the ground they typically would no longer have the opportunity to make a play. Will have to look through the case book and see if there are any case plays covering this type of situation.

Sep 21, 2011
Thanks, Comp. So maybe the diving fielder is protected on a line shot that is knocked down, still within reach and there is still the opportunity to get up and make the play? But if the ball is out of reach or if there is no opportunity to make a play, then the runnner is protected? That sounds reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi