Another interference question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Runners first/second. Grounder to SS, hit fairly sharply. SS doesn't field cleanly, takes a step forward to retrieve ball that has bounded off her glove. Crashes with runner at 2nd.

Umpire says once ball hits glove, all bets are off. She doesn't have the right to retrieve her misplayed ball without interference from runner.

Runners first/second. Grounder to SS, hit fairly sharply. SS doesn't field cleanly, takes a step forward to retrieve ball that has bounded off her glove. Crashes with runner at 2nd.

Umpire says once ball hits glove, all bets are off. She doesn't have the right to retrieve her misplayed ball without interference from runner.

True in ASA not sure about other org's.

Jun 22, 2008
In ASA once the ball is deflected the runner has to do something intentional to interfere. FED has a step and a reach rule where the fielder is protected within that distance if they are still in the act of fielding the ball. However, FED does have a rule about contact with a deflected ball. If the ball is deflected by a fielder making the initial play on the ball and the runner couldn not avoid contact with it, it is not interference. This does not apply to contact with the fielder though.

Mar 31, 2014
It was a middle school game, so not sure.

Another issue that came up was that a pitcher didn't start with both feet on the pitcher's plate. We didn't know the rule set for that either. By 'we,' I mean the parents. We were just wondering.

I know the pitcher can step back in school ball, not sure why they still allow this as you can't take that step in travel or college ball.

Jun 22, 2008
Typically middle schools will follow the same rule sets as the high schools. My daughter is coaching her middle school team and even though it is a charter school athletic association they go by NFHS rules with some minor modifications such as time limits and inning restrictions. Being it was a middle school game I would bet the umpire was not very experienced. My daughters team had their first game yesterday and it was obvious the umpire had no clue about the rules even though he told me, and I quote, "You do not want to get into a rules discussion with me because I know all the rules." I just kept my mouth shut because he was warning and restriction happy and had already restricted my daughter to the bench along with a couple of the players.

Jun 22, 2008
I know the pitcher can step back in school ball, not sure why they still allow this as you can't take that step in travel or college ball.

My understanding is they still allow it in school ball because you are dealing with many kids who are not as advanced as the club ball players. They are trying to make it easier for a pitcher to be competitive and I guess allowing them to start with a foot back is somehow easier.

Sep 5, 2012

Not to be too technical here, but it would be more accurate to say that they are allowed to start with only one foot in contact with the pitcher's plate. They can start their pitching motion with one foot in back. Once their hands come together they are locked in & cannot step back. They must come forward. If they step back after their hands come together, we have an illegal pitch.

Jun 22, 2008
But it is legal for them to step back before or as the hands are coming together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877