Another Infield Fly Rule Experience

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
So what is the "fair" way to correct this particular error in your opinion? My way is to let the play stand the way it played out. The umpires didn't call it correctly initially, so it can't be fixed.

In the original post, the infield fly rule was in effect when the ball was hit. It was not called when it should have been...no dispute here and a mistake by the umpires on the game. The subsequent plays by the shortstop allowed the runners on base to advance. The ball was not caught, so there are no tag-ups necessary. Speculation on my part here, but I am about 95% sure that if the infield fly had been declared properly and timely by the umpires, the shortstop probably would have done nothing different. In my opinion and going by the description provided since I was not there, the resolution to this play would be: Batter declared out on the infield fly, runners advances stand, runner on third, two outs, play ball.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
IChanging calls after the fact takes that away from the players.

What about things like:

1. Pulled foot
2. Check swings
3. Catch/No Catch on balls close to the ground

Human error is one thing, but not checking and changing something that may have been wrong to begin with when you have the opportunity to do so now makes you wrong twice. This would include IFR, and any other rule that may require correction and can be done according to the rulebook.

As an umpire, I always want to make the right call, as a human, I know that I miss some. Personally, and umpires do differ on this topic in my experience, if I'm presented with an opportunity to correct something that was wrong originally, I will take that opportunity every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1