Another DD swing thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Lower body mechanics are not good. She spins and lacks a decent forward weight transfer ... is a strong contributor to why you see the lack of extension of the arms in the direction of the pitcher.

R

RayR

I would focus up top.

She is in a poor position by front foot plant....front shoulder should still be down and in....in this swing she is using her shoulders to move the hands....she needs to develop the ability to move the hands independently of her shoulders....

youth 12.JPGDoran Flipped USA.jpgWilliams Wash.JPGLeles Arizona.JPGRivera Wash.JPG

Jun 17, 2010
Both great observations. Thanks! Been trying to get her to FEEL weight transfer but has been hard going. Still searching board for good drills for this. Maybe medicine ball?

Love the front shoulder cue also!

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Both great observations. Thanks! Been trying to get her to FEEL weight transfer but has been hard going. Still searching board for good drills for this. Maybe medicine ball?

Love the front shoulder cue also!

Just my 2 cents I don't think she spins and I do think she transfers weight. She gets off her back heel immediately. I think her one hand release allows for a big follow through that causes the back heel to over turn a bit at the end but that's well after being consequential.

Nov 8, 2010
hey, one thing working in her favor....she makes solid contact with the Synge and the ball will go flying!!!

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I think it would be very easy to work with your daughter. She has alot of good things about her swing.

Things to tweak her swing.
She loads some over top her back leg, try to keep the load inside the back leg, inside of rear foot.

Her hips lead her swing=good. If you can add what MTS said and keep her front shoulder in there along with the hips leading.

She create's some separation. Hips go forward/hands go back = good. Might try and create alittle bit more separation, or what I say is stretching the chain.

Is the bat to heavy?? Looks abit heavy to me. Maybe try an oz or 2 lighter bat. Hands drop some.

Last thing is tilt. Bend at the waist/barely soften knees. Keep this bend at the waist throughout the swing with her current swing with a 2 oz lighter bat and I say she will pop the ball.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just my 2 cents I don't think she spins and I do think she transfers weight. She gets off her back heel immediately. I think her one hand release allows for a big follow through that causes the back heel to over turn a bit at the end but that's well after being consequential.

Someone that effectively transfers weight to their front side will often experience their front leg responding by extending a significant amount ... what we see here in terms of front leg extension is minor in terms of what would be seen by someone doing a much better job in terms of effective weight transfer.

jh92lx.gif

From my perspective the rear leg usage here is basically 'spin' ... and it is a significant reason we see a poor weight transfer.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi