Another D1 Softball program bites the dust...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
The article also says Duke is increasing the number of scholarships in 4 other women's sports to the NCAA max. Title IX compliance obviously played a role in this. I wonder whether the recent success of the football team did too - it used to be extremely weak.

Duke is adding softball as a varsity sport and is increasing its number of scholarships in four other women's sports.
White also says the women's fencing, rowing, swimming and diving and track and field programs each will have the maximum number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA.

My niece played vball at Duke and loved it there. I wish they made this decision a few years ago.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Very cool for Duke. Sorry about Temple University. We are still waiting to see if Rice University will start a SB program...they have an awesome baseball program...

Mar 2, 2013
The article also says Duke is increasing the number of scholarships in 4 other women's sports to the NCAA max. Title IX compliance obviously played a role in this. I wonder whether the recent success of the football team did too - it used to be extremely weak.

Duke is adding softball as a varsity sport and is increasing its number of scholarships in four other women's sports.
White also says the women's fencing, rowing, swimming and diving and track and field programs each will have the maximum number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA.

My niece played vball at Duke and loved it there. I wish they made this decision a few years ago.

What makes you think that "Title IX compliance obviously played a role in this?"

Mar 26, 2013
What makes you think that "Title IX compliance obviously played a role in this?"
All the additions were in women's sports.

The TV money made the additions feasible and Title IX played a role in them all being made in women's sports. I expect money is also being added to men's sports budgets too, even if scholarships aren't being added.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06