Another bunt question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2009
Player goes all the way down on a drag bunt and bat is actually in contact with the ground. Pitch may have even hit the ground as well. Bunt goes about 3 feet fair and batter is called safe by BU. PU calls the batter back and calls foul ball. Explanation was something along the lines of "stationary bat on the ground". Batter still had the bat in her hands, not dropped or anything.

On another note, these same two umps called every game on that field all day in near 100 degree heat. They did a great job and I let them know it after the tournament. The only break they got was about an hour rain delay around 9 pm. We lost the final 1-0 and one of my players griped about the umps. I took the time to explain how she was wrong and how complimentary they were of our team. Told them they better thank them as they left the field. It was a good "teaching moment" for a bunch of tired 11 year olds, but it was nice to see him smile after such a long day and knowing it would be 3 am before he got home, as each and every player gave him an enthusiastic "thank ya blue" as he walked by.

Jun 25, 2009
Almost forgot. USFA tournament. Nothing in their "streamlined" rule book concerning it, and it refers to NFHS rules, but I don't have access. Thanks.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Explanation was something along the lines of "stationary bat on the ground". Batter still had the bat in her hands, not dropped or anything.

I'm kind of at a loss to explain that explanation. :confused:

The only way this could be a foul ball was if, after being batted, the ball touched the batter or the bat again while she was still in the batter's box.

If the umpire called a foul ball because the bat was in contact with the ground when the pitch was hit, or because the pitch bounced, then I'd have to say it was the wrong call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1