And I thought we played bad defense...!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks Eric. To be honest, she plays high school to be with her school friends and hopefully help them however she can. We are both looking forward to travel ball. FWIW, the high school team is filled with great kids and great attitudes, but very little experience. We have two girls with serious travel ball experience (including DD) and played a team yesterday that has 14 travel ball players on their roster. There's only so much you can do.

I understand. Maddie's first MS game is today, and she's one of two TB players. Most of the rest are friends who she played with in rec, plus a few newbies. Although she loves the level of competition in TB, there is definitely a part of her that misses playing with her school friends, especially since she is one of the big fish in the pond.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Did they call the game at some point due to run rules?

Recently DD 3 pitched in a HS JV game. The umpires were using a real strike zone when DD 3 pitched, and a MUCH bigger one for the other team, so DD 3 struck out in her first at bat with a ball over her head. I agree with the umpires.

DD 3 did score 3 runs, on 2 hits and a walk.

The game was in the rain, and was called by agreement of the coaches after ONE inning, 22-0. BTW, DD 3 only faced 3 batters.
Note that DD 3 was about #6 in the batting order, and she had a strikeout, 2 hits and a walk, with 3 runs scored, IN THE FIRST INNING.
A few girls on the team scored 4 runs. IN THE FIRST INNING.

Imagine the score in the game had it gone on for a few more innings.

Now, what if there were two teams that were that bad defensively facing each other? I could imagine scores of 46-36 after two innings.

But that was JV.

Trust me, there are places in the world where the varsity teams really are that bad. About a year ago, in a 2 day period I watched a total of 10 varsity HS teams play in 5 games in a park in Manhattan Island. Of the 10 teams, I saw ONE decent pitcher. Plenty of bad players on all 10 teams. If someone told me that two of those teams played, and the game was 46-36, I would believe it.

EDIT TO ADD:

OK., this game was a few miles away in Yonkers, but it appears the quality of the teams was about the same.
Trust me, I believe it.

At one point I was planning to move my family to NYC, and some of the NY state DFP fellows told me that NYC softball is less than perfect. It appears the same is true of Yonkers. Interesting, places like Long Island and New Jersey have great softball.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Thank God my dd isn't alone. She pitched last night 8 errors in the first inning. I lost track after that. My dd isn't a strike out pitcher, she produces a lot of ground balls. That works out well for her travel ball team, not so great for the high school team. She starts trying to blow buy girls but her pitches start to get to fat in the zone. She Can't wait for this to be over. She is a senior and hasn't ever played on the high school team. She thought it would be fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi