And another interference call? or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Depends as all these calls do...

1) if the umpire believes the runner intentionally ran into the fielder then the runner is out. I have seen this too often with coaches who tell their base runners to make contact with fielders to try and get calls.

2) if the umpire believes the fielder is at fault, then the runner is protected (which is irrelevant here since she safely made third and stopped) and at the end of the play the umpire can award what ever base they feel is appropriate. If that is home, then that is home. If third - well she is already there so there is no award to make.

3) Defensive coach is at risk of being thrown out for entering field of play before the play is over. I'm probably giving some leeway as he may be worried about an injury, but if they are just coming out to yell and scream and don't handle it well, well we will see if they get to stay or not at the end.

OP said fielder is in baseline how can there be intent to run her over? If shes in the base line she is in harms way runner has the right to round the bag and advance without being obstructed. I can't believe how many times I've seen 1st base standing on the bag watching the ball go into the outfield and a batter runner has to go around the girl on 1st ...runner has the right to take a line on the inside of the bag if she get knocked down its not the runners fault .....coaches need to teach kids how to get out of the way when play is not at their base.

Jun 22, 2008
OP said fielder is in baseline how can there be intent to run her over? If shes in the base line she is in harms way runner has the right to round the bag and advance without being obstructed. I can't believe how many times I've seen 1st base standing on the bag watching the ball go into the outfield and a batter runner has to go around the girl on 1st ...runner has the right to take a line on the inside of the bag if she get knocked down its not the runners fault .....coaches need to teach kids how to get out of the way when play is not at their base.

Thats why there is an obstruction rule. If the runner has to alter their path because a defender is in their way without the ball it is obstruction. unavoidable collisions will occur, but a runner plowing over a defender just because they are in the way is a vioation of the rules and subject to ejection. And has been stated, in some rule sets it is also an out. Here is a video I have posted before of a batter/runner running over a fielder just because they are there.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

You couldn't be more wrong. BTW, to start, the baseline has zero bearing on the rule. Yes, the defender should know where they cannot be and that is in the runner's path, wherever that may be.

However, two wrongs do not make a right. If a runner intentionally runs into the fielder, and trust me, it isn't that hard to recognize, she may get an OBS call, but it is very possible that at the end of the play she will be packing her bag and heading to the parking lot with parents/coach. It is even possible that if the umpire determines the contact was an attempt to draw an OBS call, the runner may not even get that.

Mar 26, 2013
... As runner turns one there is 1st base in the running line and she gets pushed, pretty hard to the ground. Fans of the defense go crazy, coach comes out the dug out before play is over. Hitter gets to third easily and turns but because of the slight delay at 1st she has to stop. Many discussions and many of fans getting madder by the second and did I tell you 1st base was picking sand out her teeth.
How would you characterize the push - was it just enough to get past the fielder or was it clearly excessive?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks... I hope to never see this play happen live. However every time I read about something somewhat unusual or rare like this I generally see it live within a week or two.

Unfortunately, we know of these happenings and rules and interpretations because something has occurred somewhere that needed to be addressed by a rule and/or interpretation. And if it happened once.....

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Enough to get past her but we talking about clumsy young teen-age girls so sometimes it does not take much to push over. My daughter tagged inside corner and girl was standing directly in the base line for her turn. It was a two hand push to back unexpected to the girl so caught her off guard. My daughter is too tender hearted to be just plain mean spirited against another player. The run was nothing like the video above.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Enough to get past her but we talking about clumsy young teen-age girls so sometimes it does not take much to push over. My daughter tagged inside corner and girl was standing directly in the base line for her turn. It was a two hand push to back unexpected to the girl so caught her off guard. My daughter is too tender hearted to be just plain mean spirited against another player. The run was nothing like the video above.

ejected. If she had time to raise and extend her arms, she had time to try and check-up or avoid the player

Thats why there is an obstruction rule. If the runner has to alter their path because a defender is in their way without the ball it is obstruction. unavoidable collisions will occur, but a runner plowing over a defender just because they are in the way is a vioation of the rules and subject to ejection. And has been stated, in some rule sets it is also an out. Here is a video I have posted before of a batter/runner running over a fielder just because they are there.

Funny I've been in softball from 10U all the way up to gold ball and I have never seen an obstruction call made without "contact". So it is up to the umpires "judgement" to determine contact or just plowing over a girl? My DD has been plowed over numerous times and I mean a couple somersaults and it has always been ruled obstruction plain and simple.

Also in the video you posted the batter pops out to 2nd base and the way she carries the bat and throws it you can tell she's mad she popped out so she takes it out on the 1st baseman no need to round the bag in that scenario but in the case of the OP ball is hit down the right field line and the 1st baseman is just watching the play and is not involved shes plain and simple in the way of the runner rounding the bag. now if you call it just plowing over a kid and the rule and umpire call it that way then I will teach my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd baseman to stand on the bag and make the runners go around them maybe ill win a few games by holding the opposing teams kids to fewer bases.

The whole intent of the obstruction rule is to reward an extra base to the runner that is obstructed by a fielder not involved in a play or blocking a bag before the fielder has the ball.

Last edited:
You couldn't be more wrong. BTW, to start, the baseline has zero bearing on the rule. Yes, the defender should know where they cannot be and that is in the runner's path, wherever that may be.

However, two wrongs do not make a right. If a runner intentionally runs into the fielder, and trust me, it isn't that hard to recognize, she may get an OBS call, but it is very possible that at the end of the play she will be packing her bag and heading to the parking lot with parents/coach. It is even possible that if the umpire determines the contact was an attempt to draw an OBS call, the runner may not even get that.

True the baseline doesn't have anything to do with the obstruction rule ....I was merely stating this for location of runner on the field and yes 2 wrongs don't make a right but as I stated before obstruction is a penalty on the defense and an extra base awarded to the offense(if said runner trys to advance to the next base which most people forget ...you cant just stop at 1st base because there was obstruction and expect the umpire to award the extra base ...doesn't work that way) but I have never seen obstruction called without contact (regardless if the rule states there has to be contact or not) so umpires better start calling the rule correct or some coaches will start teaching kids to stand on bases to slow runners down.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I beg to differ on the ejection ruling also. My daughter watches her 1st base coach and does not run with her hands on her hips either. So yes running wide open looking at the coach to make sure he does not change his call and turn the bag with 1st baseman in the line of her turn.....yeh you got time to throw up another hand in a split second to get her out the way. I will stand beside the fact she is coached correctly by I and her other coaches on her ability to run the bases. Also do not forget this same girl was in the way of 2 other plays. She clearly can be set up for an injury if she ever faces that girl with the attitude while doing the wrong thing.

Also I know typing looses its translation of real time scenario so that is why there will always be so many different answers on a forum board with out video back up.

And also I take no offence to the ejection ruling MTR made. I like reading all the what if's and different reasoning for calls. It teaches me and others here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1