And another interference call? or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Like I said I love the advice and different opinions of translations of rules here.

Batter hits a line drive down right field line. First base turns to watch the ball go by into outfield. Runner turns one because she has speed and can easily get a triple or just maybe a infield home run. As runner turns one there is 1st base in the running line and she gets pushed, pretty hard to the ground. Fans of the defense go crazy, coach comes out the dug out before play is over. Hitter gets to third easily and turns but because of the slight delay at 1st she has to stop. Many discussions and many of fans getting madder by the second and did I tell you 1st base was picking sand out her teeth.

What is the call?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Depends as all these calls do...

1) if the umpire believes the runner intentionally ran into the fielder then the runner is out. I have seen this too often with coaches who tell their base runners to make contact with fielders to try and get calls.

2) if the umpire believes the fielder is at fault, then the runner is protected (which is irrelevant here since she safely made third and stopped) and at the end of the play the umpire can award what ever base they feel is appropriate. If that is home, then that is home. If third - well she is already there so there is no award to make.

3) Defensive coach is at risk of being thrown out for entering field of play before the play is over. I'm probably giving some leeway as he may be worried about an injury, but if they are just coming out to yell and scream and don't handle it well, well we will see if they get to stay or not at the end.

Sep 5, 2012
Perfect response!

It's definitely a HTBT kind of situation as there isn't one 'always right' answer.

I would also add, for clarity's sake, that there is no interference on this play. The 3 was not fielding a batted ball or receiving a throw so how can there be interference?

On this play you're either going to have obstruction on the defense or unsportsmanlike conduct on the offense.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
1) if the umpire believes the runner intentionally ran into the fielder then the runner is out.

Maybe ejected, but not necesarily out.

Why not? Because...

I would also add, for clarity's sake, that there is no interference on this play. The 3 was not fielding a batted ball or receiving a throw so how can there be interference?

Generally, if there is no play being made (ie: no opportunity for an out) then we don't hand out free outs like candy! The premise of most interference rules is that someone has done something that can deprive the defense of an out, so we penailze with an out. If there's no put out available, then no out is penalized.

But...and there is always a but...This is not an absolute. For instance, in high school/NFHS rules they have the concept of "interference without a play". It's something they added just a few years ago. If a runner intentionally plows into a fielder- even one not in the act of making a play- then the runner is to be called out.

They might be the only ones that give an out here. This isn't the case for ASA. Just one more rule difference that umpires have to keep straight!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
Great post BretMan. The NFHS rule is generally known as malicious contact.

But...and there is always a but...This is not an absolute. For instance, in high school/NFHS rules they have the concept of "interference without a play". It's something they added just a few years ago. If a runner intentionally plows into a fielder- even one not in the act of making a play- then the runner is to be called out.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Well no call was made (and I agree), the runner was my daughter. 1st base was a little green in that position, I am 1st base coach so after my daughter pushed her I did check on the poor girl. Her coach charged the field to yell at the ump trying to draw an ejection. She was fine and she told me sorry...which I told her all is good as long as she was not hurt. 1st base had no play to make an out just inexperience she turned to watch the ball while standing in the way of a runner (she did this 3 times yesterday). My daughter even checked on her after her delayed steal at home. After the inning I and the other coach had a talk, it was civil.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Maybe ejected, but not necesarily out.

Generally, if there is no play being made (ie: no opportunity for an out) then we don't hand out free outs like candy! The premise of most interference rules is that someone has done something that can deprive the defense of an out, so we penailze with an out. If there's no put out available, then no out is penalized.

Something new to learn...I notice USSSA rules has the malicious contact 'out' as well.

So I have a couple of questions for an ASA game:

- If the contact is intentional, it appears my only choices in an ASA game are either no call or an ejection (probably based on severity of contact or intent/what I observed)?

- If I decide to eject the player what happens? Does the offensive team just lose a base runner but no out is recorded or would the offensive team be allowed to substitute a player in (if one is available) who I assume would be placed on third base since that was the legal base the ejected player reached? If they don't have a sub available is it then an out?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Something new to learn...I notice USSSA rules has the malicious contact 'out' as well.

So I have a couple of questions for an ASA game:

- If the contact is intentional, it appears my only choices in an ASA game are either no call or an ejection (probably based on severity of contact or intent/what I observed)?

If the contact is intentional, the ejection is a no-brainer.

- If I decide to eject the player what happens? Does the offensive team just lose a base runner but no out is recorded or would the offensive team be allowed to substitute a player in (if one is available) who I assume would be placed on third base since that was the legal base the ejected player reached? If they don't have a sub available is it then an out?

If you eject the player AFTER the play (and that is when it happens), all play stands and the team must provide a sub to replace the ejected runner. If there is no sub available, the game is over.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If the contact is intentional, the ejection is a no-brainer.

If you eject the player AFTER the play (and that is when it happens), all play stands and the team must provide a sub to replace the ejected runner. If there is no sub available, the game is over.

Thanks... I hope to never see this play happen live. However every time I read about something somewhat unusual or rare like this I generally see it live within a week or two.