Am I wrong ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Everyone always "wants" something. Instead of you letting this travel program dictate your dd's future. Why don't YOU go out and do some scouting yourself. At 8U travel, you will be able to find those diamonds in the rough and mold them to quality players later down the road

Play for the future........

Apr 1, 2010
I don't think you're wrong for being annoyed. Your daughter wants to play, you want her to play, but you're being told that there is no option for girls 8 and under this season in your town. It's a frustrating situation.

At the risk of sounding like some elitest TB snob, if your daughter played tournament ball for the first time last season, loved it, improved tremendously playing with better/older players and was excited about doing it again this summer, how about forgetting the town rec program with all its lack of player issues and age-eligibility rules and start looking for a TB team for her? If there aren't any openings currently, you might be able to find teams she could guest play for or that would let her come practice with them.

Sep 26, 2011
Thanks for the replies. To answer a couple of the questions/comments...

Coogan:
10u does have different rules than 8u in my town & it would be my daughter's responsibility to adapt to the 10u rules. She did fill in a game or 2 at the 10u rec level when a team was short players. It's not an all star team.

Osric:
I am not trying to just benefit my daughter, I think any of the 8u girls should be permitted to try out for 10u IF there is no 8u team. The tryouts should be conducted using the 10u rules and if any of the 8u girls (including my daughter) can't "keep up" using those rules, then they shouldn't make the team. But let them try out & see. If my daughter is "displacing" a girl, then that must mean she is better than that girl & isn't that why tryouts are held?

I agree that we should be able to field an 8u summer team based on the league participation level...and boy have I been recruiting/pushing along with the 8u manager... via e-mail & at games. It's bordering on harrassment !! ;)
If you saw my e-mail report you'd be amazed that I still get any work done at work !! Many kids in my area go to sleep away camp, many families don't want the time commitment, many just don't answer e-mails. I agree we should be able to field a team, but please believe me...it's not because we aren't pushing/recruiting. You can lead a horse to water...

I think I will investigate a "real" travel team & see whether it's an option. It's unfortunate because my daughter really loves playing & would love to continue playing with the girls she knows & goes to school with. I will also pay the price in other ways. My rec league is very vindictive when they lose a good player to an independent team...i.e. I will not be allowed to coach my younger daughter's team.

I just wanted to get a sense if I am being unreasonable or if my league is being narrow-minded.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors