Am I being helpful or overstepping my role?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LetsPlayTwo

LetsPlayTwo
Jul 4, 2014
Ohio
I have coached a mix of rec and TB for 15 years with 2 DDs and BB with one DS, but I'm more or less of a parent this year for several reasons. However, I offered to lend a hand on my youngest DDs 12U TB team if/when the current coaches ask for help. We get along well and they seem glad to have me occasionally shagging balls, helping with the usually rushed pre-game warm-ups, keeping score, etc. I situate myself close to, but not in the dugout, so I can answer questions from the book as necessary. They have periodically asked my opinion on something, but occasionally, my old coaches brain blurts out something spontaneously (but politely), like "this batter has hit two hard liners to right, are you sure you want Becca only 3 steps into the grass?" This is usually followed from one of the coaches with "BECCA!!!" and then the frantic hand signal to have Becca back up about 10+ steps. I shut up for the next 3 innings or so until the next obvious thing that can't/shouldn't be ignored-IMO. I know there were times when I would have welcomed such assistance from somebody that sees something I missed. Am I being helpful or should I ST_U?

Jun 11, 2013
Ask the HC if it bothers him if you say something. The one thing parents should never do is say it to the kid, but if you notice something and tell the coach it's OK.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Since I don't have a daughter on the teams, I can avoid going to the games. But, when I do sit there, I have done the same thing that you do. And it is always, like you say. I will go "Your SS has her back to the field." :)

What is really hard for me, is to sit and watch my student pitcher struggle, when the coach really needs to call time out. By the way, they never do, unless I complain.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
That's a question only the HC can answer. Sounds like so far, if you were over stepping, something would have been said.
As a HC, I don't mind that sort of thing. (Becca, back up!!!) I'm human and will miss stuff like that. We need additional eyes helping. I think that the fact your addressing the coaches and not the players directly is what makes you helpful and not "one of those parents"...

LetsPlayTwo

LetsPlayTwo
Jul 4, 2014
Ohio
Brief clarification...I avoid directly "coaching" the girls-except maybe for a "nice hit" or similar. They know I'm not an AC, but do have this role. I know that 4 voices from the bench can be counter productive (if they even hear any of them) so I don't go there at all. My comments are with the coaches and are more "strategic or defense management" in nature. I hear you regarding your possible positioning strategies, but I have seen some basic FP tactics completely overlooked. The coaches are qualified on technique, but largely beginners in game management on the fly. I like your idea of involving the girls these game tasks, but not sure its feasible with this team, at this point in this season. Too many still working on basics, but maybe a stretch-goal for the future.

Jul 2, 2013
I don't think you are overstepping your bounds. You are a very experienced coach, who respects the existing coach. It sounds as though they respect your opinion. You get it.

Keep doing the same. Trust your gut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1