Allow players to vote for team MVP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
We're planning to do a little certificate for each player (based on her individual strengths or a season-long achievement) at the end of the season and are also planning to do a coach's award for the player who has best exemplified the principles of hard work, sportsmanship, and being a good teammate. That's going to be a really tough one for me, as I'm quite lucky to have a team full of those players.

Have any of you ever allowed your rec team to select the team's MVP (or 'favorite player', whatever you wish to call it)? How was the idea received by the players and parents?

Mar 13, 2010
When I was about 14 my coach had us do MVP each week. So instead of getting parents or umpires or the other team to do the 3-2-1 system, the team did it. It came up with some surprising results week to week, but the coaches admitted at the end that it worked out very well.

I wouldn't do it at the end of the year, it needs to be an ongoing thing.

Nov 1, 2008
Last year we allowed all of our girls (15) to vote for the 12 girls to make the all-star team. They chose the same 12 all of us coaches would have chosen. i'm not sure how well it would have worked in a place where there were multiple teams or more girls but in this particular situation it worked for us.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
For my rec team, I've always done it as the season goes on by giving out game balls. I let the players vote on it. You would be surprised how democratic and fair they are to their teammates, and by the end of the year everyone has received one.:D

Im not a fan of team MVP's. IMO every players an MVP!! In rec ball I'm a fan of giving each teamate a gameball throughout the season. You will always be able to find a good thing each kid did. After each game, in the team huddle its awsome to call out the least skilled kid for a simple positive contribution, handing them the gameball as the team cheers them on! 1,2 or 3 kids monopolizing could easy build resentment.....especially with the parents. In TB a lot of the tourneys we enter an MVP is awarded by the players of the opposing team. win or lose the kids love giving kudos to their opponent.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We give out at least 1 game ball after every game, coaches control who gets the ball so it gets spread around to all the Players.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
10's and 12's we did it and let the players choose. I spread them out so they didn't "cheat" and they voted on paper. worked out well.

Feb 3, 2011
For each post-game, win or lose, I do recognize players for the things they did well that day. I don't always get everyone for every game, but everyone has gotten recognition during the season. I also send out a game report email to keep the parents in the loop and also to give out written 'game balls' for every player, acknowledging what I saw from them in each game. The parents read these to their kids and the players love it.

What they really love, though, are the helmet award stickers. One is for a great play and the other is labeled 'HUSTLE'. Everyone has earned at least 1 or 2, although one of my players won't put hers on, because her helmet has a custom airbrush job. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My experience with kids voting for MVP is that they over-value the pitcher. A pitcher is supposed to keep the ball in play and strike out a few batters. But, kids always seem to vote for the pitcher.

So, my suggestion is for the coaches to nominate three players, and then let the team choose from those players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish