All Star Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2011
It seems as if SOCalSoftballdad tends to witness the same stuff i see here in the SD area.
Pretty unfortunate to see so much bashing going on for something that is the norm here in SoCal. It's not like i'm coming on here saying that this is how it's going to be. I came on here asking for help and any other pointers. The stuff i mentioned in my first post was simply what i've encountered in various leagues in SoCal. You call it crazy, hell, it's the norm and not only around these parts of towns but all across SoCal.

Chinamigarden came on here asking if it was a joke. I'll admit i'm ignorant to other parts of the country (obviously) and how they handle their leagues but yes Chinamigarden, there are 8u all stars and and 8u pitchers and yes they do go through conditioning. How else would they handle weekend tournaments and according to my schedule, it's 6 weekends in a row.

Our #1 pitcher is good. I wouldn't go as far as to say really good but she's being clocked at 45-46 easily. Our number one all star pitcher last year was clocked by various guns at 49 over and over again, getting as high as 51!! The crazy thing is that she was in the eights and moved into the 10's even though she could have stayed in the 8's one more season.

As SoCalSoftballdad mentioned, the small percentage that make all stars genuinely love it. They will sit and actually watch film, sounds crazy right?!?! This is their typical year. They play Spring, get a week off and then prepare for all stars. Right after that they get another week or two off and start with winter ball. Right after winter ball, most of the players get together for a generic TB team and participate in numerous tournaments throughout SoCal. After that is done, they get another two weeks off and they are right back at it for Spring.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2011
For what it's worth....SoftSocDad.....you win for best post in this thread!! Very very good advice!

Apr 13, 2010
Our #1 pitcher is good. I wouldn't go as far as to say really good but she's being clocked at 45-46 easily. Our number one all star pitcher last year was clocked by various guns at 49 over and over again, getting as high as 51!! The crazy thing is that she was in the eights and moved into the 10's even though she could have stayed in the 8's one more season.

I'm speechless.

May 25, 2010
For what it's worth....SoftSocDad.....you win for best post in this thread!! Very very good advice!

It's worth a lot! ;) You came in, withstood the initial flames, laid out your position, and then came back receptive to what you saw was well-intended feedback.

That's the mark of a reasonable individual, which is a great starting point for you and your team. It's gonna be a great summer. :)

Apr 26, 2011
I don't think they are that rare. Going back to last years 8u all star team. That team was stacked like you wouldn't believe. They had two pitchers that would hit 48-49 over and over again. The number three was easily hitting 44-45. Although we have seen a decline in stand out pitchers. This year 8's only have one solid pitcher and their number two is faster than number 1 but with no control. 8's next season have no pitching at all. And that's with the league giving free pitching and catching lessons!

Apr 13, 2010
What is an Average Pitching Speed? Great softball pitching hints and recommendations for girl softball pitchers

From what we have seen and experienced, an average pitcher in most parts of the U.S. would have pitching speeds somewhat like this for her age:

11-years old - High 30's to Mid 40's

12-years old - Low 40's to Upper 40's

13-years old - Mid 40's to Low-50's

14-years old - 50+

Average high school pitcher - 53-57 mph

Pitchers, pitching coaches, and parents all like to brag about their pitcher's "60 mph fast ball". It is a nice goal,
but obviously speed alone doesn't make a successful pitcher. Here is an unpopular statement from me, but the truth nonetheless: In most cities, considerably less than 5% (and sometimes only 1% or 2%) of all teenage pitchers consistently hit an "honest" 60 mph in games.

Apr 26, 2011
good info EP Dad, can others chime in and give their feedback. This to me just seems a little off. Although with them being average, could be true. Do these numbers seem correct to everyone else in here?

Mar 28, 2011
Wow, you boys from So-Cal are taking in on the chin pretty good! Here in Nor-Cal, while we aren’t quite there yet, we do see some pockets of the So-Cal softball “fanaticism”, and I say that with all due respect. Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with it. I have a dd that plays rec ball and practices with a tb team. She plays almost year round and it is NOT the only thing she does. She does find time to participate in two other activities while keeping excellent grades. She's not being pushed, manipulated or coerced. She loves being challenged.
Other then the occasional whack-a-doodle parents that I think are pretty typical to all leagues, (think I have seen more in rec ball then tb), I don’t see that any of these very talented and highly enthusiastic girls are being coerced or manipulated. They do it because they have a true love and passion for the game and because they are good at it. It’s their choice far as I can tell and they benefit from parents and coaches who can offer them this opportunity. It doesn’t appear to me that anyone’s innocence is being threatened, that anyone is being forced to mature too soon, that anyone is suffering any emotional, mental or physical abuse. They are regular, normal silly little girls off the field that love snow cones and Justin Bieber,( well maybe the Justin thing was taking it a bit too far). As for my dd, I encourage and support her, not push her, for some simple reasons. I believe it develops discipline and character, which are building blocks to future success that can be applied in all facets of life. If that translates into a scholarship to assist in her education, then that’s just a bonus. In any case what she is learning are valuable tools that she can apply towards her future, let’s call it an investment for her future. It’s not for all kids, but some kids or more capable and ready to be challenged at a higher level. These are the overachievers and outliers; I say let them be, it shouldn’t be a threat to anyone who isn’t or doesn’t want to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish