Age exemption thoughts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2021
The cut off for groups is always the player's age (birthdate) based on December 31. But here's something that I don't think is taken into consideration.

Scenario:
Let's say a mom has an abnormal pregnancy and for whatever reason has a child prematurely on December 1 of 2010 at 27 weeks. The actual due date was to be in February 2011, but for whatever reason the baby was born pre-maturely. A baby that early could be 1-2 lbs at the time of "birth". That baby spends the first 2 months of their life in a hospital and if they're lucky get to go home around February in 2011 and at that point could be anywhere from 4lbs to 5lbs. This would be around the time of the "normal" due date of February 2011. That baby could technically have a birthdate of say December 1 2012, but was realistically (adjusted birthdate) would of been February of 2011 when that baby was brought home. In this case the player would be considered 11 years of age (12U) based on their premature birthdate going into next year, but their adjusted birthdate/home date would be February of 2011 and could be playing another year of 10U if the adjusted home/due date was taken into consideration. Most children that are born very prematurely usually take 2-3 years to "catch up" developmentally with full-term babies. Thoughts on possible age exception for the rare players that might fall into this category?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The way the rules are now, players whose birthdays are 364 days apart are playing the same "age".

If it usually takes 2-3 year to "catch up", developmentally, wouldn't they be "caught up" by the time they are old enough to start playing organized sports?

When they get older, HS graduation year becomes the critical number, not birth year or playing age.

Jul 9, 2021
Assuming your area has a lot of 10u, 11u, and 12u teams it's 364 days. I would say in our area, it's 10u 12u 14u and so on. With 2 year differences in some cases.

Yes they should be "caught up" by 10 years of age, but in any normal pregnancy they're also born in 2011.

Thanks for your response, I want to hear from several people on their thoughts.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
By the time a parent would realize this matters, the child will be at least 7 or 8 "hey mom, can I play softball?" and wouldn't be in the first few months of the kids life "hey, Cheryl, Susie was born early, do you think we should document this in case she plays competitive sports?" (would probably get things thrown at you, by Cheryl).

And without that sort of instant documentation (doc, can you sign this born-early voucher?), it would cause a whole mess, because humans are terrible, and many would be making crazy claims, and pretty soon everyone's "certified competitive sports birthday" would be Jan 1.

Not trying to come off callous or mean, just people suck, and life is definitely not fair.

Jul 8, 2020
Understand the point, but would say leave as is. exceptions are a slippery slope, they lead to wanting more and other exceptions, and trying to track exceptions would be a pain.

Jul 9, 2021
Nope, I get it.

This definitely wouldn't be to gain a competitive advantage. We played C level and were 4-12 this year. One of the kids is 47 lbs heading into 5th grade. Moving up to 12u next year.

Mar 20, 2019
I always thought they should do it by by grade so that everybody who's in school together can play together.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
Life just isn't always fair. Kids mature at different rates. Many perfectly normal kids are much smaller than age based peers. Girls going through puberty at 10 vs 12 can create vast differences without any kind of health issues. Sports can't take into account all of these nuances. It just is what it is. Travel softball isn't for everyone. I don't mean to sound harsh but if your team can't compete at a C level it sounds like you need to make some improvements, consider rec leagues that allow travel teams, local unsanctioned tournaments.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2021
That would be nice, but parents would probably hold a kid back just to have them play in a better grade. As mentioned above, people will try to take advantage of everything. But I'd be fine with grade, but you'd have to also limit age with that as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06