Again, the number system???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
As has been mentioned above, if it's taking longer to do signs using a wristband system, they're either not designed or being used right. A good system is quick and easy to use, and I would argue introduces and teaches more game strategy than a traditional system. When I do customized systems for teams, they have multiple combinations of random numbers they can use for calling the same thing, and I also give them 3 sets of signs they can change out to whenever they want so, if used right, there's just no way to pick them. I do about a half dozen college teams and I know most of them switch out sets between their doubleheaders just to be safe. If anyone wants more info on these systems, just e-mail me at jffbaker3@gmail.com.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Jeff, I'd be interested in your thoughts on how using he bands teaches game strategy. Thanks in advance.

Darrell

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I did find out the dangers of using the old finger system this past weekend.

DD 3 was pitching. The catcher was recovering from a broken finger on her signal/throwing hand. 0-2 count. Coach signals for a curve ball. C's fingers are taped together. DD 3 sees it as calling for a change-up right down the middle. RBI time.

Jun 11, 2013
I did find out the dangers of using the old finger system this past weekend.

DD 3 was pitching. The catcher was recovering from a broken finger on her signal/throwing hand. 0-2 count. Coach signals for a curve ball. C's fingers are taped together. DD 3 sees it as calling for a change-up right down the middle. RBI time.

If your P (DD) thought you would ever call for any pitch down the middle 0-2 you might need the game strategy program promised by the wrist band advocate above :)

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I feel like it allows the girls to think about the game rather IMG to remember a chain of body signals.

Can you explain to me how the body signals teaches differently? Hoping to learn something I have missed.

I am 44 but did not play high level baseball. Only little league and a little HS ball back in the dinosaur days. I have learned the game in the last 8-9 years, mostly from my DD's playing in that time but also from following this forum very closely. I'm open to improving my knowledge!

Feb 7, 2013
As the game evolves so must the players and coaches, I don't have a problem with the numbering system and wrist bands in softball, it has become part of the game. There was a time in football where the quarterback called the plays, now they are relayed to him audibly through the helmet's ear piece.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I feel like it allows the girls to think about the game rather IMG to remember a chain of body signals.

Can you explain to me how the body signals teaches differently? Hoping to learn something I have missed.

I am 44 but did not play high level baseball. Only little league and a little HS ball back in the dinosaur days. I have learned the game in the last 8-9 years, mostly from my DD's playing in that time but also from following this forum very closely. I'm open to improving my knowledge!
I don't know if this is aimed at me or not. I never stated that any signalling system did more than send in the location and pitch called. However, I'll take a shot at what I used to coach. So, first touch on the face is location. right side = inside, chin= down, left = away, forehear = up. So, now I have let the catcher know what location I want and they have to know the rest from what we do in the bullpen. Now, I go around until I touch the nose. Whatever I touch after the nose is the pitch per what the pitcher throws. So, after I've called pitch and location, the pitcher knows the count and due to what we have done in the bullpen or on rainy days in the classroom, I'm a HS Coach, they know why I've called what I called. To be honest, my goal is to stop doing this and so, I try to get my catcher up to speed fast so that they can call the game. Then, we have a very simple signal, tap on the head, if I want to call a particular pitch or if the catcher wants me to call a pitch. The teaching of the game is done in practice far more than in games.

Edited to add:

Right side first touch and left side first touch are inside and outside regardless of how the batter steps into the box. So, left handed hitter first touch right side = in the river of the left hand batter's box. It is just the opposite for right handed hitters.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Good points and I guess I am thinking more about offense than defense. What you're doing with the catchers makes a lot of sense. The question wasn't directly at you but thank you for clarifying!

Feb 7, 2013
I don't know if this is aimed at me or not. I never stated that any signalling system did more than send in the location and pitch called. However, I'll take a shot at what I used to coach. So, first touch on the face is location. right side = inside, chin= down, left = away, forehear = up. So, now I have let the catcher know what location I want and they have to know the rest from what we do in the bullpen. Now, I go around until I touch the nose. Whatever I touch after the nose is the pitch per what the pitcher throws. So, after I've called pitch and location, the pitcher knows the count and due to what we have done in the bullpen or on rainy days in the classroom, I'm a HS Coach, they know why I've called what I called. To be honest, my goal is to stop doing this and so, I try to get my catcher up to speed fast so that they can call the game. Then, we have a very simple signal, tap on the head, if I want to call a particular pitch or if the catcher wants me to call a pitch. The teaching of the game is done in practice far more than in games.

Edited to add:

Right side first touch and left side first touch are inside and outside regardless of how the batter steps into the box. So, left handed hitter first touch right side = in the river of the left hand batter's box. It is just the opposite for right handed hitters.

Can't all of these signs be done just as easily with a numbering system? And the beauty of the numbering system is that it's nearly impossible to pick signs (i.e. you can change them every inning, if need be).

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Can't all of these signs be done just as easily with a numbering system? And the beauty of the numbering system is that it's nearly impossible to pick signs (i.e. you can change them every inning, if need be).
Are you wanting me to give away all of my secrets? Yes, I can do it as fast as any other system. No, you aren't going to break what I am doing. Ok, a few more things. If I touch my nose first instead of one of the locations, it means that the other team is being nosy and so, don't call what I call. If I touch under either eye, see what the pitcher wants to throw. I have all kinds of checkoffs. We practice all of this during live BP. Pitchers throw after their bullpen work to a few hitters live. When doing that, we work on all the signaling system.

My original OP, and many of you saw this, was when number system numbers were sent in, the pitcher standing back and looking, ... imo, it was taking a lot of time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619