Afraid to pitch to strong batters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2010
My seventh grader has been pitching travel ball for the past two years. She made the middle school team and was one of two pitchers that were brought up to pitch with the eight graders. She is now struggling when a big, strong batter gets up as she is afraid they are going to hit it straight back at her. She knows to hit her corner never pitch down the middle but is really struggling even getting it near the plate. When she pitches to average size kids/batters, she does great. She does have a face mask. Any suggestions or does she just need to work this out?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My seventh grader has been pitching travel ball for the past two years. She made the middle school team and was one of two pitchers that were brought up to pitch with the eight graders. She is now struggling when a big, strong batter gets up as she is afraid they are going to hit it straight back at her. She knows to hit her corner never pitch down the middle but is really struggling even getting it near the plate. When she pitches to average size kids/batters, she does great. She does have a face mask. Any suggestions or does she just need to work this out?

This is a confidence problem, not a fear problem.

The best way to never get hit by a line drive is to never let them make good contact.

Lots of ways to do that.

Jan 27, 2010
I don't totally agree with halskinner in his response. I believe it is a simple answer to a more complex question.I believe most girls that have ever been hit do have some fear of getting hit again. I suggest you do some games or drills with wiffle balls or tennis balls that will increase your DDs' confidence in her abilty to field balls hit back at her. I don' know of many pitchers that have pitched for any length of time that have not been hit with a drive back at them. She needs to go right at these batters with her best stuff she has to offer and as with any other batter be ready to field your position. A ball hit back at you should be an oppurtunity for an out whether it be a pop fly, grounder or a line shot.She needs to pitch the ball as halskinner states where the ball won't be hit by a line drive but sometimes you mess up with a pitch and it happens especially at her age. If she does happen to get hit," put her back on that horse" as soon as you can.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2010
Great suggestions, thank you. Turns out her concern is getting hit in the ankles as that happened last year and I think she still has the lump (she was wearing both sliders).

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Hard shots up the middle are part of the game. With time,
she will develop a little 'ice in her veins'.
My DD loves to pitch to the 3-4-5 in the order. She tests what they like
to swing at the first time around and capitalizes next time through.
She will never throw them a fast ball down the middle, she throws the
FB inside at the knees and relies on breaking pitches that are working on
that particular day. If they hit one hard, then, hats off to the batter!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Great suggestions, thank you. Turns out her concern is getting hit in the ankles as that happened last year and I think she still has the lump (she was wearing both sliders).

Defending yourself below the kneecaps is very tough. It takes TOO LONG to bend and put the glove below the knees. Make sure both feet are touching the ground (at least the pivot toes) that way both feet can kick up or to the side out of the way, hard to do when all the weight is on only one foot.

Hal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1