Advice needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Unless she is a really weak pitcher and just learning to pitch, I am not a fan of rec league for pitching, at least in our area. My DD pitched rec last year and while she got a lot of mound time, she faced very weak batters and built up a false confidence. When we started playing travel, the hitters were all over her pitching. Id find a travel team where she can be a for sure 2, maybe 3, and work up from there.

Also, your have to look out for your own DD. While being a team hopper is not good, being stuck on the wrong team is probably worse. Find your fit and work from there.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
She is 12. She is 5'6 and works hard and puts practice 4 times a week. And goes to lessons weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If your DD has the drive to become a pitcher you need to get her onto a team where she will be the #1 or #2 and will see a lot of circle time. Being the #4 or #5 pitcher on a team will never get her where she needs to be.

May 12, 2008
Yes to all these posts...unless...she has mechanical issues she needs to work on. When a young pitcher has something in her mechanics she needs to fix, the worst place to put her is under the pressure to throw strikes. Don't be afraid to take time off in a situation like this and get thoroughly ready before going back to live games.

Jun 12, 2015
Unless she is a really weak pitcher and just learning to pitch, I am not a fan of rec league for pitching, at least in our area. My DD pitched rec last year and while she got a lot of mound time, she faced very weak batters and built up a false confidence. When we started playing travel, the hitters were all over her pitching.

I really strongly considered letting my pitcher (9) play rec to get circle time. She's the #3 pitcher on an A level 10U travel team so I'm pretty sure most rec coaches would pitch her a LOT. But I went to a friend's daughter's rec game in the fall and remembered what rec is actually like and realized we really don't want her to go that far backwards. It may be different in different areas but here, her team would probably win every game just because nobody could hit off her. She hardly walks anybody even in travel. I think what we'll do is pick up with other TB teams if she's not getting enough circle time on our team. Seems like there are always teams that need a pitcher to fill in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi