Adding 14U players to 12U team for a few months. Right or wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
So DD's 12U travel ball team has been selected by the organization to add 4, 14U players (8th graders) from the older team that goes "dark" during high school season which lasts from around Feb - May. Now DD's 12U team has 18 players and has to play in 14U friendlies / tournaments. It also means that our 12YO pitchers (DD included) has to pitch from 43 feet for the next 4 months.

Is this normal and what do you guys think?

Jun 1, 2013
I would be more concerned with roster size and losing some of your 12's over playing time. There may be more at foot here, as in they may be looking to add the 01's to your 14u roster next season or are they 00's? They are giving you a chance to expose your players to 14u early with a little more competitiveness by adding them. I would say it is a good thing except for the roster size. The pitchers will have to make the jump some time and this will give them an advantage over the other 12's next season. We do the 43' and 12" ball jump at 12U in this state.

Roster size only makes me say this is wrong. I think there are ulterior motives. How weak are your bottom 4 or 5 and is it possible they are trying to push them out without giving money back?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Last year a team was started just for this reason. a bunch of 8th graders played on this team until 1 June and then returned to their original teams. I find that much better than 18 players on a roster. My DD goes into 9th next year and we are going to be playing 16U with 1 year of 14U eligibility left. If she's not playing in school ball on a weekend I plan on guesting her on either our 14U team or finding one that needs a player. But I think your situation will not help the 12U girls nearly as much as the 14U.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Big roster, but playing 14U for a few months can't hurt, when they drop back down to 12s they will be a better team and everything will seems like it is happening in slow motion. Don't even sweat the 43 feet thing though. My DD and a friend have been playing 14U for a while now as 12s and I really don't see much of an accuracy change.

Hopefully they schedule more games and then keep the invited roster to 12 or so and just rotate the players that get the off week. By scheduling 4 weeks of games and doing this then each kid will get the same amount of playing time, this is what our org does.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I appears that your kid's 12U team just became a 14U team with too many players. Stand by for heavy weather.

Sep 29, 2014
13 yr old 8th graders are really between a rock and a hard place as far as opportunities from Feb-May, ideally if you can have year group teams you solve this problem but if organization is too small you can't do it. Last year my DD was homeschooed and played on a 14U rec team as the only 14 yr old everyone else was 13. Then the reverse happened once JV ball was done we had an influx of 14yr olds trying to get in enough games at the very end to qualify for all stars.

It's not fair to the 12yr olds but think about the shoe being on the other foot what are the 13yr old to do?

If it is a 12U A level team I would think you would be OK, remember most of those other 14U teams won't have girls playing HS JV either. As far as playing time it would be nice given 18 players if they split to two team for the tournaments everyone can go to and maybe get a pick up player or two; better than having a whole team of girls sitting on the bench...trust me that is no fun at all.

Not sure there is a right or wrong depends which shoes you are in...best situation would be to partner with another organization and see is they could put together a 13yr only team for a few months.

Feb 7, 2013
I agree with guys, the roster size is a big issue. In friendlies all 18 players will bat so most players will likely get 1 at-bat each game (not ideal). Also, we are trying to qualify for PGF, so I'm not sure how that is going to work unless the 14U girls don't play in those qualifiers? Will be an interesting experiment this spring? I'm staying calm, for now...:)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've never seen a non-school team that large, and wouldn't give such a team a moment of my attention. Generally, kids should only play up when they've done all there is to do in their current age group. For the vast majority, it's an exercise of convenience or vanity on the part of parents and coaches. Pushing them into older age brackets prematurely will lead to failure.

It's apparent that you, and I suspect the rest of the parents, were under the impression that your kids were playing 12U this Spring? Your organization suddenly and without discussion sprang this on you? I'd be pissed, and quickly moving on.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I've never seen a non-school team that large, and wouldn't give such a team a moment of my attention. Generally, kids should only play up when they've done all there is to do in their current age group. For the vast majority, it's an exercise of convenience or vanity on the part of parents and coaches. Pushing them into older age brackets prematurely will lead to failure.

It's apparent that you, and I suspect the rest of the parents, were under the impression that your kids were playing 12U this Spring? Your organization suddenly and without discussion sprang this on you? I'd be pissed, and quickly moving on.

A little severe no? This is for a few months while the HS girls are dark. Playing up for a few months with 4 girls from the 14s to anchor the team will not hurt anyone. Not every org has the luxury of enough girls to field true teams by year and they have to mix and match to keep things rolling. If the OP supports the org otherwise and there are not other issues, then there is nothing wrong with playing up for a few months to help keep the wheels on the bus for the 4 girls that would otherwise be blowing in the wind and possibly finding new permanent homes.

Dec 28, 2014
You may see attrition quickly of the weaker players. Teams do this as a way to "run off" weaker players by lack of playing time. You may quickly see the roster drop down to 13.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell