Add another guru to the list-Don Sarno

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Since Rich Balswick is 450 miles to the north and I am plum out of things to teach the kid, I asked around and was directed to Don Sarno down here in SoCal. I had heard of him but since he is not a big internet guy, there were no videos or anything else to get a look at what he taught so we got a lesson booked and I took DD on Saturday to check things out and see what he had to offer. I cannot express how amazing this man was. Both in knowledge and demeanor he was world class. I did not think it was possible that a PC could get my kid to make any sort of change in less than 20 hours of work, but he managed to key in on subtleties to improve her rise and CU dramatically, and teach her how to make the most of her FB (changed the grip and finish slightly to get it to tail inside to a righty) and drop (once again slight grip and finish change) to get it absolutely bending down and away. Everything he said was spot on and showed an almost immediate improvement. Everything I do with her is trial and error, so to see a real expert be able to asses her and then take her existing tool set and turbo charge it was very impressive. The kid thought he was the nicest man she had ever met and was really proud that he agreed to give her lessons. During the course of the lesson we got to know a little about his history and his background is almost as impressive as the humility he conveys while sharing it. I feel really fortunate to have found him and I am looking forward to eavesdropping from the bucket on the pearls of wisdom he gives DD at the next lesson.

Every once in a while I run across someone who is truly an expert at something and I am always struck by how much power they have over their area of expertise and Don is literally a master at his craft, I feel very fortunate to have found someone who I trust to hand the kid over to finally.

I don't know how available he is, but if anyone in SoCal has the need for advanced pitching instruction I cannot imagine there is anyone better.

Feb 7, 2013
Great share. I have to be honest here that while I have known of him for the past 7 years, I was very reluctant to seek his coaching advice since DD's very first pitching (hello elbow) instructor praised his expertise profusely. After hearing your success story, I may have to change my mind about the man and his instruction. See, you can teach an old, cynical dog (myself) new tricks..

I would be curious to know if you two discussed arm whip mechanics at all?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Great share. I have to be honest here that while I have known of him for the past 7 years, I was very reluctant to seek his coaching advice since DD's very first pitching (hello elbow) instructor praised his expertise profusely. After hearing your success story, I may have to change my mind about the man and his instruction. See, you can teach an old, cynical dog (myself) new tricks..

I would be curious to know if you two discussed arm whip mechanics at all?

RT-

He really did not discuss mechanics that much, it was 90% grip, spin and location at this lesson. He did mention the need for a bend at the elbow and showed DD a way to help feel it by bringing the ball over her head just a tad sideways, and he also described how you want a small circle until the end where you whip it through. But the focus of the lesson was pitching not throwing if you get my drift. I think he wanted to get a feel for DDs aptitude more than diving into any sort of overhaul so the lesson consisted of her just throwing a pitch, say a riseball, and then him tweaking a few things for 10 minutes until he got the desired result and then moving on to the next pitch.

Aug 21, 2008
JJ, Don Sarno is not only a world class person but he was one of the all time best pitchers in many people's minds. What he says, he speaks from experience. When I was younger and on the US National team, he attended a few of our training camps. I wish I'd have had the chance to sit down with him and talk pitching but this was before I started my "business" so I doubt I'd have asked him the questions THEN that I would like to ask about NOW. If you're lucky enough to get with Sarno, you should do it and never look back.

Bill

Mar 26, 2013
You're very fortunate to get in with Don. I'd heard a few years ago he wasn't taking new students, just finishing out with existing ones.

Jan 18, 2011
JJ, I'm waiting to see the photos you talked about. I have a student who doesn't seem to want to put a bend in her arm. She's got potential but not until she learns to "relax" that arm. I'm curious about the slight turn to first going over head (RHP).

Don the best pitching coach and at one time the best in the world. He pitched the Nighthawks to numerous world championships. I pitched against him in the men's game and 1 of my grand daughters went to him for pitching lessons. Had many conversations with him about pitching and teaching. He is getting up there in age but any time you can have him take a look at your daughter take advantage of it.

Mar 11, 2017
My 11 year old DD and I just met Don for a lesson and had almost exactly the same experience. He taught her that "running fast ball" that comes inside and goes low with very simple, easy to understand, instructions. Basically he just modified her grip and told her to throw low and inside. With just this pitch, a CU and a nice fastball located outside/inside she is killing it. I have resisted the pressure of going to pitching coach that claims to teach your kid 5 different pitches (over many weekly lessons) and have instead kept her focused on fundamentals. On her league there are a few parents, who take theirs kids to same PC and all claim their DD has 5 pitches (I don't see it, at least not effectively). Don gave my daughter a simple tool that she can use very effectively without calling it anything fancy. We've been to tryouts, and when they ask her to throw a drop, she throws this running pitch and the "experts coaches" say "nice pitch". She loves going to Don because he teaches her adjustments that work for her. It seems he quickly picks up on what works and what doesn't for his students. Definitely a master of his domain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad