Aaron Judge's Swing Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
In regards to Rich. Kudos to him. If Judge is happy with the results, more power to him. As far as your argument for Rich, I understand, and that's fine. But I could utilize the same argument for Bobby Tewksbary (Josh Donaldson) or Craig Wallenbrock (JD Martinez) or many others out there. Is Rich having success? Sure. But so do others. I realize that some will twist my comments to be an anti-Rich theme, but the truth is I really don't care about all that 'camp' stuff. Never have. Never will. I will leave the 'camp' stuff to others...

Am I nuts for thinking we should be looking for what all those instructors have in common, not how they differ, to figure out what really should be taught? Seems logical that whatever they're teaching that's the same is probably good stuff to teach. The differences may be a matter of style, semantics, or one may actually be better than the others, but let's look at what they all teach (not just clips of the hitters, but what they're being taught -- and then I guess we should check to make sure they're actually doing what they're taught in live swings).

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Links please .....

The initial discovery of the glute/rear-hip-extension issue was found in DD's pitching mechanics (specifically trying achieve sprinter's posture). Research into fixing it has led us into discussions with several different experts, but it wasn't until the Lord led me to the foot hyperarch concept that we found anything that came close to changing the natural behavior of the glutes. I've documented it mostly in the pitching part of this site.

(Pitching link)

Eventually I found that the same glute issue was affecting how she ran and especially how she would dive (defensively and running bases). It wasn't until a few months ago that I started to see how it was also affecting both of us trying to swing in the pattern. It became more apparent that there was poor hip hinge angle in both of our batting postures. With poor hip hinge angle, the rear hip is not in a good position to be responsive during the swing.

Hitting link is on HI called "Athletic-posture-while-coiling".

If there is interest, I'd be happy to create a similar post over here.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I get hung up on the idea of a "sequence". To me, I see it as a series of things to do in a particular order. What I love about what Rich teaches is that if you simply coil (and maintain it), all you have to do is swing with a swivel and all the stuff we like to see (swooshing bath path, elbow slotting, rear leg IR, hip turn, front foot plant, etc) will all just happen without any thought at all. Yes, there is a sequence of events that happen, but as a batter, there is only one thing to do, and that is launch my bat with swivel. Learning to do it on time is certainly difficult.

This is how I see that automated pattern: Assuming you coil and stay coiled, the swing is launched with the hands (swivel), and when you go ALL-IN with swivel, your back/scap gets recruited and leads to pelvic tilt which frees up the coiled rear hip and allows the glutes to drive the hip around via the rear leg. I'm no Dr., but I attribute it to something like thoracic extension with a rotational element. For people with responsive glutes, this happens automatically (if you are coiled). For quad dominant people like DD and I, it would only happen rarely when the stars aligned.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Chris, if you know my posting history, the same questions I have/deleted are the same ones I have asked for over a decade. In fact, I sometimes joked that along with the Hanson Principle I'd like to create the "Butler Principle." LOL It is because I see flaws in any comparison where we don't know the true accuracy of the exactness of the comparison. Chris, my time is running out and so, I'll leave you and others to post on hitting. The post I deleted wasn't an attack but rather my opinion having been involved in emails with one of those parties for some time and as recently as a month ago. Chris, I was not trying to pick a fight. If you think I was then I apologize.

Take care,

Darrell

You are a class act...and that is an understatement...

You have been key to DD2's movement change...I didn't understand at the time...Still working hard to expand my knowledge...CP

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Am I nuts for thinking we should be looking for what all those instructors have in common, not how they differ, to figure out what really should be taught? Seems logical that whatever they're teaching that's the same is probably good stuff to teach. The differences may be a matter of style, semantics, or one may actually be better than the others, but let's look at what they all teach (not just clips of the hitters, but what they're being taught -- and then I guess we should check to make sure they're actually doing what they're taught in live swings).

There are many similarities between some of the various theories, but there are also some key differences that separate them. How the hands are utilized is one key difference.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Chris, if you know my posting history, the same questions I have/deleted are the same ones I have asked for over a decade. In fact, I sometimes joked that along with the Hanson Principle I'd like to create the "Butler Principle." LOL It is because I see flaws in any comparison where we don't know the true accuracy of the exactness of the comparison. Chris, my time is running out and so, I'll leave you and others to post on hitting. The post I deleted wasn't an attack but rather my opinion having been involved in emails with one of those parties for some time and as recently as a month ago. Chris, I was not trying to pick a fight. If you think I was then I apologize.

Take care,

Darrell

Your time is not running out...

You have nothing but my respect...you've helped my 3 DD's more than you'll ever know...you've taught me more about what patience is without ever teaching me about patience...these things are priceless to me...

As for the Butler Principle...I'd love to hear BB's view of this (LOL kidding)...I was informed by my oldest (who just committed) that I could be better and more thorough but less detailed in my instruction (huh? LOL)

You're not going anywhere...we'll drag your rear back in to the fray one way or the other ;)

CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The initial discovery of the glute/rear-hip-extension issue was found in DD's pitching mechanics (specifically trying achieve sprinter's posture). Research into fixing it has led us into discussions with several different experts, but it wasn't until the Lord led me to the foot hyperarch concept that we found anything that came close to changing the natural behavior of the glutes. I've documented it mostly in the pitching part of this site.

(Pitching link)

Eventually I found that the same glute issue was affecting how she ran and especially how she would dive (defensively and running bases). It wasn't until a few months ago that I started to see how it was also affecting both of us trying to swing in the pattern. It became more apparent that there was poor hip hinge angle in both of our batting postures. With poor hip hinge angle, the rear hip is not in a good position to be responsive during the swing.

Hitting link is on HI called "Athletic-posture-while-coiling".

If there is interest, I'd be happy to create a similar post over here.

Yes, please create a similar post here. Thank you.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I get hung up on the idea of a "sequence". To me, I see it as a series of things to do in a particular order. What I love about what Rich teaches is that if you simply coil (and maintain it), all you have to do is swing with a swivel and all the stuff we like to see (swooshing bath path, elbow slotting, rear leg IR, hip turn, front foot plant, etc) will all just happen without any thought at all. Yes, there is a sequence of events that happen, but as a batter, there is only one thing to do, and that is launch my bat with swivel. Learning to do it on time is certainly difficult.

This is how I see that automated pattern: Assuming you coil and stay coiled, the swing is launched with the hands (swivel), and when you go ALL-IN with swivel, your back/scap gets recruited and leads to pelvic tilt which frees up the coiled rear hip and allows the glutes to drive the hip around via the rear leg. I'm no Dr., but I attribute it to something like thoracic extension with a rotational element. For people with responsive glutes, this happens automatically (if you are coiled). For quad dominant people like DD and I, it would only happen rarely when the stars aligned.

Bold above ... not quite.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01