A runner living the base when the ball in the circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
Hi;

I have a situation where the short stop is in the circle holding the ball but the pitcher is out of the circle. Can any runner on the base leaving the base to advance to another base?

Mar 2, 2013
All codes agree that the pitcher must have the ball in the circle in order for the look back rule (stupid name) to go into effect.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Also, for further clarification, (speaking ASA and IFA/VTD, thanks to Comp below :) ) the ball must be under control by F1 as well.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
Thanks for the answers. Can any infielder become a pitcher without informing the urmpire? As example the pitcher is out of the circle. Then any infielder enter the circle and automatically become a pitcher to prevent base stealing by the opponent team when he (the infielder) posess the ball in the circle. Does the LBR can be applied in this situation?

Apr 13, 2013
Too confusing for me,

I think that whichever player threws the ball to the batter is the pitcher. I think that holds true until the next ball is thrown to a batter. (or in DD’s case at the batter)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think you can argue that the ball must be in the glove of the pitcher, not in her throwing hand. So if she catches the ball outside of the circle, transfers it to her throwing hand and enters the circle the look back wouldn't be in effect. What say the blues here?

Jun 22, 2008
I think you can argue that the ball must be in the glove of the pitcher, not in her throwing hand. So if she catches the ball outside of the circle, transfers it to her throwing hand and enters the circle the look back wouldn't be in effect. What say the blues here?

It makes no difference which hand the ball is in. If the pitcher has possession of the ball (and in ASA control of the ball) the lookback rule is in effect if the pitcher is in the circle and is not making a play on any runner.

Apr 13, 2013
Not a blue but as long as both her feet are in the circle and has control of the ball I do not think it matters if it is in her glove or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45