A new beginning?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2014
DD's 14u team had a pretty successful season. No first place finishes but a couple of second place finishes and decent showing at nationals. I define a lot of their success by how great a chemistry these girls had together. However, this will be coming to an end as the team has decided to merge with another organization. Have any of you been involved in this type of situation? Does it actually benefit the girls or is it just a win win situation for the new organization?

May 17, 2012
We had two of the top 14u teams merge for this upcoming season. After tryouts they were still short 2 players and a pitcher. How do you merge two "A" teams and still come up short?

Bad idea imo.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You (as a parent) have to help your DD evaluate her options and make the right choice for her. If the coaching is good on the new team and there are opportunities for you child to grow and become a better person and player, then there seems to be little downside.

When the kids start high school, a lot of kids say, "Softball, it has been fun and it has been real, but it hasn't been real fun. Good bye." So, it is common for players to end up on different teams at this age.

I define a lot of their success by how great a chemistry these girls had together.

You may need to change your definition of "success".

As the girls get older, their relationships with the other players on the team becomes more "business like". They understand that the main purpose of being on a TB team is to play softball, not develop BFFs.

That doesn't mean they don't develop friends and have fun playing softball. It is different.

Last edited:
May 7, 2014
DD has made another organization with a great reputation in this last tryout season. We're looking forward to being on this new team. The only concern I have is that the organizers of this merge are hyping up this new team as the next big thing. They're trying to sell this team as eventually being THE program to be on in the Northeast. That sounds like it could take more time than we would have softball life.

Jan 27, 2014
You (as a parent) have to help your DD evaluate her options and make the right choice for her. If the coaching is good on the new team and there are opportunities for you child to grow and become a better person and player, then there seems to be little downside.

When the kids start high school, a lot of kids say, "Softball, it has been fun and it has been real, but it hasn't been real fun. Good bye." So, it is common for players to end up on different teams at this age.

You may need to change your definition of "success".

As the girls get older, their relationships with the other players on the team becomes more "business like". They understand that the main purpose of being on a TB team is to play softball, not develop BFFs.

That doesn't mean they don't develop friends and have fun playing softball. It is different.

This is so very true. My daughter just turned 12 and instead of continuing to play with her best friends, she decided that the friendship is there with or without softball and wants to play travel ball instead of continuing with what her friends are doing(new rec league). Part of me is very proud that she's mature enough to understand this. She wants to focus on softball separately from her friendships. She knows she'll make new friends and that's exciting, but it's not what playing revolves around. But this is the same child who gets straight As in honors classes and is already trying to knock out high school credits in 7th grade... I wish my boys were like her.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD has made another organization with a great reputation in this last tryout season. We're looking forward to being on this new team. The only concern I have is that the organizers of this merge are hyping up this new team as the next big thing. They're trying to sell this team as eventually being THE program to be on in the Northeast. That sounds like it could take more time than we would have softball life.

Regardless of your DD's age, that's a pretty tall order, IMO! Feel free to PM me if its in New England and you care to discuss.

Need way more details to say whether this is a good move or an underhanded one. I've seen mergers go both ways and every way in between....

I mean, it could be great if one of the teams is from a smaller org that struggles to pay the bills and get enough girls for tryouts and the other is well-established and has resources to share. Same can said of going to an org which enjoys non-profit status when yours does not.

OTOH, maybe the big org likes three or four of the girls on the smaller org's team, and knows it can't lure them without bringing the rest of their teammates. I've seen orgs do this then simply get rid of the other kids once the Fall season is over and hold "tryouts" to allow the other girls they've wanted all along to join the new team.

More details are needed to give a reasoned response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal