A hashed out subject

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2017
Because some movement patterns don't use both legs for leverage ;)They use the rear leg as the driver while the front leg catches the swing.

McM8euM.gif

k4xI3PF.gif
In the Cabrera clip I see his core pulling a dead back leg forward and then landing back into it. When you say the rear leg is the driver is that we’re actively pushing off of it? It controls our move forward? We drive the back knee forward and down as a step in the kinetic chain of the swing?

The Kinsler clip I may be ignorant but I don’t see one legged. I’d love to hear your interpretation. For me I see the rear leg control my forward timing move as I land in the range of 60-40 50-50 weight shift. As I swing into my front leg my core pulls my back foot I rotate around my spine and my front leg extends.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’d love to hear both of your interpretations on what one legged means to you. I keep seeing the phrase more and more recently and the person who mainly uses it just leaves vague comments and if there’s any disagreement you’re immediately an idiot.

my interpretation of a one legged swing in the context I’ve mainly seen it used in is that less weight is shifted forward and the axis the swing is turning around is not the spine but rather the back hip.

View attachment 18838in this picture of bonds at launch he looks pretty close to 60-40 maybe even approaching 50-50. Is this his B swing? Is this a bad home run? Am I interpreting it wrong?

I just wish these conversations could take place without egos getting involved because the conversation always gets sidetracked and turns into your wrong I’m right instead maybe we could learn something from each other. I’m by no means a hitting guru just trying to learn everyday so I can do the best for my players.

In the picture of Bonds there is a crease at the back hip/leg. Which to me means he is coiled around the back hip/leg and spiraling upward into the scap. The entire body is coiled around the back hip/leg.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
In the Cabrera clip I see his core pulling a dead back leg forward and then landing back into it.
Yep !!
When you say the rear leg is the driver is that we’re actively pushing off of it? It controls our move forward? We drive the back knee forward and down as a step in the kinetic chain of the swing?
Correct !

The Kinsler clip I may be ignorant but I don’t see one legged.
The front sides job is to catch the swing in the one legged pattern. Kinsler checks all the boxes.

I’d love to hear your interpretation. For me I see the rear leg control my forward timing move as I land in the range of 60-40 50-50 weight shift. As I swing into my front leg my core pulls my back foot I rotate around my spine and my front leg extends.
I use to allow the rear leg to control forward move but no longer.. The forward move (stretching) needs to be reactive. Let the middle control the up front actions so the forward move becomes reactive.

xK7hwAc.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’d love to hear both of your interpretations on what one legged means to you. I keep seeing the phrase more and more recently and the person who mainly uses it just leaves vague comments and if there’s any disagreement you’re immediately an idiot.

my interpretation of a one legged swing in the context I’ve mainly seen it used in is that less weight is shifted forward and the axis the swing is turning around is not the spine but rather the back hip.

View attachment 18838in this picture of bonds at launch he looks pretty close to 60-40 maybe even approaching 50-50. Is this his B swing? Is this a bad home run? Am I interpreting it wrong?

I just wish these conversations could take place without egos getting involved because the conversation always gets sidetracked and turns into your wrong I’m right instead maybe we could learn something from each other. I’m by no means a hitting guru just trying to learn everyday so I can do the best for my players.

The problem comes with the interpretation. My view of "one-legged" probably doesn't match others. And it definitely doesn't match some. There are many different ways to view the swing. Each person tries to use the terms/phrases that make the most sense to them.

Shawn's post gives a good basic explanation of one of the characteristics of one-legged. To me it comes down to weight shift. As the hitter is preparing to swing, striding, moving forward, the majority of the weight/pressure resides on the rear leg. This is especially evident in hitters with high leg lifts. After all, their front leg is not even on the ground. As they are striding/moving forward, they are timing the ball. Once they start to swing the bat (launch), the weight will transition from the rear leg to the front leg. In many cases, the rear leg will skip forward or leave the ground completely. So in a way you could say that the weight starts 100% back and transitions to 100% forward. That is an over-simplification, but hopefully you get the idea. The key is getting the weight into the proper position at the proper time (timing the ball). Hitters like Bonds can increase the timing window by sitting deeper into their rear leg. Yes his front leg is on the ground, but a greater percentage of his weight is still back. The front leg plays a key role in this timing component, but if too much weight transfers forward too early, the timing window is gone and the hitter is toast.

Some will counter that the key is getting to their launch position early. They want to beat the pitcher to that spot. My question is then why not just start there? If the goal is to get to a certain position prior to the ball, cheat. As soon as you get in the batter's box, get into your launch position immediately. Then it doesn't matter if you are fooled on the pitch or not. You are already there, right? If the goal is truly to get there first, it seems counterproductive to even have a stride at all. You are just risking the chance that you will not get there on time. But if you start there immediately, there is no way you are going to be late. My answer is that the stride, the weight shift, the move out is incredibly important. It is that weight shift that allows us to deliver energy into the ball. Without the weight shift there is no strength/power behind the swing. And a traditional stride is not even necessary. In the no-stride approach that Jim Edmonds utilized, there was still a shift. HIs core/pelvis is still moving away from the catcher until it is time to launch. To me that is still one-legged...

Others are absolutely entitled to their opinions. I am starting to understand when @Cannonball talks about being an ex-expert. Not that I claim to be an expert. Just that the debate is no longer important to me. The entire "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality is nothing more than a waste of time in my opinion.

U5CZiZ3.gif

hcCQPSZ.gif

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thinking about trying one legged golfing. New excuse for my inadequacies

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Did you decide which leg? Hope this thread helps you determine which is better!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The problem comes with the interpretation. My view of "one-legged" probably doesn't match others. And it definitely doesn't match some. There are many different ways to view the swing. Each person tries to use the terms/phrases that make the most sense to them.

Shawn's post gives a good basic explanation of one of the characteristics of one-legged. To me it comes down to weight shift. As the hitter is preparing to swing, striding, moving forward, the majority of the weight/pressure resides on the rear leg. This is especially evident in hitters with high leg lifts. After all, their front leg is not even on the ground. As they are striding/moving forward, they are timing the ball. Once they start to swing the bat (launch), the weight will transition from the rear leg to the front leg. In many cases, the rear leg will skip forward or leave the ground completely. So in a way you could say that the weight starts 100% back and transitions to 100% forward. That is an over-simplification, but hopefully you get the idea. The key is getting the weight into the proper position at the proper time (timing the ball). Hitters like Bonds can increase the timing window by sitting deeper into their rear leg. Yes his front leg is on the ground, but a greater percentage of his weight is still back. The front leg plays a key role in this timing component, but if too much weight transfers forward too early, the timing window is gone and the hitter is toast.

Some will counter that the key is getting to their launch position early. They want to beat the pitcher to that spot. My question is then why not just start there? If the goal is to get to a certain position prior to the ball, cheat. As soon as you get in the batter's box, get into your launch position immediately. Then it doesn't matter if you are fooled on the pitch or not. You are already there, right? If the goal is truly to get there first, it seems counterproductive to even have a stride at all. You are just risking the chance that you will not get there on time. But if you start there immediately, there is no way you are going to be late. My answer is that the stride, the weight shift, the move out is incredibly important. It is that weight shift that allows us to deliver energy into the ball. Without the weight shift there is no strength/power behind the swing. And a traditional stride is not even necessary. In the no-stride approach that Jim Edmonds utilized, there was still a shift. HIs core/pelvis is still moving away from the catcher until it is time to launch. To me that is still one-legged...

Others are absolutely entitled to their opinions. I am starting to understand when @Cannonball talks about being an ex-expert. Not that I claim to be an expert. Just that the debate is no longer important to me. The entire "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality is nothing more than a waste of time in my opinion.

U5CZiZ3.gif

hcCQPSZ.gif
FP, it is truly sad that hitting discussions become this way. It is a type of religion when people take a position and refuse to view the swing in any other way. When that happens, you have people talking past others and not talking to them. I truly enjoy hitting discussions and enjoy reading threads like this. It gives me stuff to think about. I don't participate like I once did and, to be honest, I was one of the guilty one back in the day. Today, I'm an ex expert. LOL

Edited to add:

If any of you have read The Art of Hitting .300, Charlie Lau discussed creating a platform. That platform, in a sense is a "soft" front knee being straightened by the back hip. If you look at the video above, you can see it. I've never understood the one legged or two legged approach. I must be missing something.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
IMO the difference lies in how the core is stretched in the two patterns. Which will affect the swing in different ways.

One legged IMHO seems to be more like a seesaw, if that makes sense. As one side of the core is lengthening the other is typically shorting or stagnant.

Two legged IMHO is more about stretching the core in its entirety...... the lengthening of the unit as a whole. Which is why starting out in the launch position isn’t a very good idea IMO, you wouldn’t be able to create this lengthening or stretch and would not benefit from the creation of SSC.

One pattern is more of a spinal axis (two legged) and the other (one legged) is more of rear hip axis.

It seems like the one legged crowd has a much broader acceptance criteria compared to the two legged crowd. Because the one legged crowd seems to look at weight shift for determining what is deemed one or two legged. While the two legged crowd determines this by the bodies core actions.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 23, 2015
FP, it is truly sad that hitting discussions become this way. It is a type of religion when people take a position and refuse to view the swing in any other way. When that happens, you have people talking past others and not talking to them. I truly enjoy hitting discussions and enjoy reading threads like this. It gives me stuff to think about. I don't participate like I once did and, to be honest, I was one of the guilty one back in the day. Today, I'm an ex expert. LOL

Edited to add:

If any of you have read The Art of Hitting .300, Charlie Lau discussed creating a platform. That platform, in a sense is a "soft" front knee being straightened by the back hip. If you look at the video above, you can see it. I've never understood the one legged or two legged approach. I must be missing something.
Lau was George Brett's guru. Not sure what he would know.....

Anyone who believes that hitting is a one way street has never held a bat in their hand past 12. Its just chatter. Every elite player hits differently. We all have what works for us and not works for you. Anyone can find a gif that supports their ridiculousness.

I'm always suspect of the agenda when I hear preachers on the ballfield. You never see them grab a bat, stare down the bullet of a gun, and do real work. They just talk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Anyone who believes that hitting is a one way street has never held a bat in their hand past 12. Its just chatter. Every elite player hits differently. We all have what works for us and not works for you. Anyone can find a gif that supports their ridiculousness.
Agree players hit differently.👍
We all have what works for us and not works for you.
ADD every'body' is different too!

Like 625ender 1st sentence
Its really the icing on the cake!
Makes a great question to ask coaches befor accepting a position on a team!

Does anyone believe hitting is a one way street?

Cuz it sure seems some people/coaches think it is!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

In one the middle is spent before foot down. The other is spent after foot down. Premature weight shift is one legged, even though it was created to not shift early. Oh the irony . It’s why you must swing the foot down. 2 legged can be used at foot down or after foot down. Once the belt buckle (COM) goes forward, the weight has shifted and you must swing or abort. You can’t wait on an off speed if looking fastball. it takes special core strength. Which I don’t think most girls/boys possess.

Since the back leg is the axis of rotation for 1 leggers, and the axis of rotation is at the back of the body, TTB w an oppo approach will be needed to catch up since they are swinging/contacting it from so deep.

If I am misrepresenting 1 legged hitting, sorry. I have heard so many different explanations (band aids). I am going off the inventors definition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi