A drill to work on tosses

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Well, it's snowing like crazy here in Illinois, so teams won't be moving outside anytime soon. That can be a drag for players. There's a lot you can do in a gym, but it's not quite the same. And coaches often run out of ideas after awhile, so they do the same things week after week, leading to even more player boredom.

I know. I've been that guy running that practice. Which is why I came up with the drill I'm about to describe. It's good for working on multiple skills at once, including fielding ground balls, backhand tosses, forehand tosses, regular throws and catches.

Here's the setup. You need three fielders across in a line, plus a coach and someone to catch - preferably another player.

Fielder 1 Fielder 2 Fielder 3

Coach Catcher

The coach hits a ground ball to Fielder 2. She does a backhand toss to Fielder 1, who then throws the ball home to the Catcher. The Coach hits another ground ball to Fielder 2, who fields it and does a forehand toss to Fielder 3, including following the throw. Fielder 3 throws to the Catcher, and follows the throw home, becoming the Catcher. The Catcher catches the ball, hands it off and goes to Fielder 1's position. Fielder 1 moves to Fielder 2.

In addition to working on a variety of techniques, if you do the drill quickly it also provides some good conditioning and practice performing under pressure. For more advanced players add a second ball so you can hit one ball as soon as the other is tossed to Fielder 1 or 3. To really step up the pressure and get the competitive juices flowing, do it against a stopwatch with a prize for the foursome who goes all the way around quickest.

More...

Dec 28, 2008
Ken,

If it is any concellation to you, our fields are so saturated with water down here in the south we can't go outdoors either. Only positive for us is that we don't have to shovel the water off of our driveways.

So keep the drills coming we are all 1 big happy family of indoor softball teams this year ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi