9 yr old pitching. Suggestions..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
I think I'm missing something here. Was there serious head-butting among the pitching titans on this board and OILF sometime in the past, before I joined??? There seems to be some sort of history to this friction (or animosity). Anyone care to bring us newer members of this forum up-to-snuff?

I have been asking OILF why he/she is here for some time now....and I have yet to get a response. Not sure if he/she is a pitching coach, parent of a pitcher, former pitcher or just a troll. Everyone else that posts on here is pretty clear about why they are here... but OILF stumps me. Sometimes when I see his/her posts...I get the feeling it's the alter ego of a former poster that no longer participates under the prior screenname.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Looks like I/R with a full finish to me... that's by far one of the best 9yr olds I've ever seen. Excellent coaching as well. She's able to hit her spots better than most 14 yr olds I've seen. Keep it up!

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
She looks really good to me in that she hits her spots and the misses weren't to bad. It's tough to tell on video but from being around that age her stated speed looked correct. It would still be nice to get some better video. The only thing that comes to mind is that she goes from a dead stop to her pitching motion without any pre move. Something, even if it's small to get her body moving before going into her pitching motion.

Jul 17, 2012
She's doing fantastic. Great speed and very good on locating. Heck of a change up too. No knock on the video, but you couldn't have gotten a worse angle if you tried.....but I can see it's a result of the design of the facility. I can't help but think she's really pushing the ball. She's generating that speed with a LIGHTNING fast arm circle and a hard close. I can't help but think she is really pushing and getting behind the ball in the back of the circle. Once again.... just guessing from what I can see. Even in her dry pitches between, where she's demonstrating a bowling "push".......and maybe seeing that is having me believe she's doing that in her full motion as well. I think it's more than just a fake H-E finish. Before I get tarred and feathered...just remember, there are some DARN GOOD young pitchers that pitch with similar mechanics. The problem is they often get passed off by the kids that are learning the "Other" way.

Dec 7, 2013
Sorry I have not checked here in a couple of days. Thanks for all the good and negative responses..lol. Trust me I will take no negative comments as bashing as I think most on this thread are very educated as to what to look for. I am just a garage dad with no softball experience at all. If three people are all agreeing with the same thing then I would think that would be an area to focus on. I do think she is a good pitcher for her age and her instructor is doing a good job, I just want to make sure her mechanics are good as we really go to work this winter in the "garage of pain".. LOL And yes locally here they do teach a HE finish. I think that is because the girls are so young and a reminder for them to finish and not stop arm at release point. I will get a side arm video today at her practice and post tomorrow. Once again thanks for all the kind words.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
I will go out and say its definitely hello elbo. As I viewed it again you can see the instructor doing it as well, I d be interested in what BM or JS have to say about a girl that throws this well with HE. Id say she would be off the charts with I/R.

Good luck Traveldad. Looks as if you have a baller on your hands!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
I will go out and say its definitely hello elbo. As I viewed it again you can see the instructor doing it as well, I d be interested in what BM or JS have to say about a girl that throws this well with HE.

I would go out on a limb that she is using mostly good IR and is more likely forcing the hand into Hello Elbow finish. Remember IR is not an all or none action. Most pitchers use some IR, the real problem is instructors who encourage PUSHING the ball down the circle instead of PULLING it down the circle. You need to analyze the mechanics upstream prior to release which is the most important aspect of the pitch.

Look forward to seeing the side view of this kid.

Dec 7, 2013
Ok. best side view I can get .Let the bashing begin..LOL.. Please comment with any suggestions Good or bad.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan