9 yo DD swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Those are pretty good-looking swings!!

The primary things I'm seeing that need a little bit of tweaking are...
1. Right hip doesn't fire all the way forward.
2. The hands are coming forward ahead of the hips. It should be hip, then hands.

Oct 25, 2009
Looks good!

I would work on her coil. She is just stride-stepping. Try a kick-stride just to help feel the hip coil. Have her bring her front knee back across her rear knee and then stride. Like a baseball pitcher does their leg. IOW, show the pitcher her front hip pocket.

Sep 18, 2013
Really great swing for a 9 year old! She does a really great move with her back elbow that creates a nice running barrel.

You mentioned that you had been working on separation and I am new to forum so I am not sure about the terminology you guys use. I am assuming you are talking about the hands going back? We define separation as the hands going back as the center of mass (body) goes forward. The timing of this is important because we want to create resistance in the upper half in order to allow the hips to get out front. What I see in your daughters swing is her hands are going back as her body goes back, so when her body goes forward the hands don't have anywhere to go but forward with her. This is why Eric was seeing the hands go in front of the hips.

Just mess around with sequence a little bit, try to keep the hands neutral until her head goes forward. Ideally we want the hands to be moving away from the center of mass all the way until her front toe touches. Hope that makes sense.

BTW, what does DD stand for?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06